PDA

View Full Version : Working on a Growtopia-esque game

anttoo370
09-28-2014, 09:47 PM
Hey guys,

To the makers of growtopia - your awesome.

I've been working on my own game in the growtopia/terraria style for the browser. So one that will run 100% in the browser.

It totally sucks at the momment, but I keep pushing updates,

it's at www.growble.net if anyone wants to try it :)

Got a video too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N9Fz9jQ6c8

I've spent most of the last few months doing the core tech, and I'm just starting to flesh out the game
elements - and think of a good theme

- - - Updated - - -

If anyone does sign up and have a go, please let me know how it goes! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Happy to chat about my development model - bit of game dev banter.

Also - my servers are in the UK - so it will be terrible if your not in europe!

Liammagoo
09-28-2014, 11:49 PM
I'm yet to sign up, but after watching the video I can say some stuff.

The game currently is a bit too growtopia. A suggestion (not an easy one to do) is to make some worlds which are mines. You start off with a 'crappy pickaxe' and you can mine 'crappy ore' and 'dirt', letting you make a 'dirt pickaxe'. And so on. Mines should reform every 30 minutes, booting everyone out of the world and preventing new players from entering until it's regenerated.

The world needs some good protection work. Locks would make it too Growtopia so my suggestion is 'protection essence'.
When protection essence is used (tap anywhere on an un-essenced world) then it will come up with a conformation saying "Do you want to claim this world?" With two options: 'Yes' and 'No'. Clicking yes will give your character a greenish glow, and making it so only you can place + remove stuff.
To remove essence there will be an option accessible through some future matter that, when selected will show up with a conformation box saying "Do you want to stop owning this world? YOU WILL NOT GET YOUR ESSENCE BACK!. You will need to Ctrl + Click 'yes' to prevent accidental ownership loss.
(Hold on, noticed in the blog that you could 'buy' a world, disregard idea)

Now Indie games are hard as, and they will take a ton of determination and effort (and sometimes your life savings :sweatdrop:) so I wish you the best of luck with your project!

anttoo370
09-29-2014, 12:17 AM
I'm yet to sign up, but after watching the video I can say some stuff.

The game currently is a bit too growtopia. A suggestion (not an easy one to do) is to make some worlds which are mines. You start off with a 'crappy pickaxe' and you can mine 'crappy ore' and 'dirt', letting you make a 'dirt pickaxe'. And so on. Mines should reform every 30 minutes, booting everyone out of the world and preventing new players from entering until it's regenerated.

The world needs some good protection work. Locks would make it too Growtopia so my suggestion is 'protection essence'.
When protection essence is used (tap anywhere on an un-essenced world) then it will come up with a conformation saying "Do you want to claim this world?" With two options: 'Yes' and 'No'. Clicking yes will give your character a greenish glow, and making it so only you can place + remove stuff.
To remove essence there will be an option accessible through some future matter that, when selected will show up with a conformation box saying "Do you want to stop owning this world? YOU WILL NOT GET YOUR ESSENCE BACK!. You will need to Ctrl + Click 'yes' to prevent accidental ownership loss.
(Hold on, noticed in the blog that you could 'buy' a world, disregard idea)

Now Indie games are hard as, and they will take a ton of determination and effort (and sometimes your life savings :sweatdrop:) so I wish you the best of luck with your project!

Hey Liammogo..

Thanks for the input - I think the idea of the worlds 'regenerating' is a pretty interesting concecpt!

But still - I want to make more of a social game I think, I don't think the world needs another grind-y minecraft esque game - that's what I love about growtopia, it's all the little games you make yourself (out of blocks), that's the fun :)

I shall muse on this

Liammagoo
09-29-2014, 12:50 AM
Hey Liammogo..

Thanks for the input - I think the idea of the worlds 'regenerating' is a pretty interesting concecpt!

But still - I want to make more of a social game I think, I don't think the world needs another grind-y minecraft esque game - that's what I love about growtopia, it's all the little games you make yourself (out of blocks), that's the fun :)

I shall muse on this

Very true, however for the worlds in growtopia to be crested we needed those who broke tons of dirt to create such blocks.

Growtopia's world design requires a good amount of effort to make. However it's not too much where stuff is scarce and difficult to search for, yet it's not pathetically simple to do (creative minecraft). Mines and item types would also add something that people could do while they wait for the game to develop into something awesome.

DeathSkull
09-29-2014, 01:27 AM
Hey guys,

To the makers of growtopia - your awesome.

I've been working on my own game in the growtopia/terraria style for the browser. So one that will run 100% in the browser.

It totally sucks at the momment, but I keep pushing updates,

it's at www.growble.net if anyone wants to try it :)

Got a video too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N9Fz9jQ6c8

I've spent most of the last few months doing the core tech, and I'm just starting to flesh out the game
elements - and think of a good theme

- - - Updated - - -

If anyone does sign up and have a go, please let me know how it goes! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Happy to chat about my development model - bit of game dev banter.

Also - my servers are in the UK - so it will be terrible if your not in europe!

Truly, an amazing game! Love it so far! Nice job.

IAmABrodie
09-29-2014, 04:34 AM
The game is pretty sweet, and i can see it going far in the future. The biggest thing I found is just the immense server lag - which is understandable since this is still in alpha. Other than that, awesome!

anttoo370
09-29-2014, 10:02 AM
The game is pretty sweet, and i can see it going far in the future. The biggest thing I found is just the immense server lag - which is understandable since this is still in alpha. Other than that, awesome!

Hey Brodie,

I'm guessing you are not in Europe?

Ping should be around 50-70ms in Europe, and 200+ anywhere else :) I'm on the UK so I've got a european bias, if I buy a second server I'll most likely make it in the states.

anttoo370
10-01-2014, 10:06 AM
Hey guys, development is going quite well.

Here is the lastest video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj3uwrW-Dp8

Showing some Mine Locks and at least three ways to die :)

LordVenom
10-14-2014, 12:55 AM
I would like to help with your project.
I am a very good pixel artist. I dont know THAT much coding.

H3uy
10-25-2014, 07:00 PM
I've signed up for this game but it seems i cant log-in at the moment.
I've put in my password and name.
Am i doing something wrong:whistling:

Pizzaman
10-26-2014, 07:16 AM
I've signed up for this game but it seems i cant log-in at the moment.
I've put in my password and name.
Am i doing something wrong:whistling:
Same thing here. Maybe the servers are down???

I even tried registering two accounts, Pizzaman and Damien, and they both failed at the Login screen... whats going on?

Anyway, I can see huge potential in this game... nice job!

Kevin Phan
10-26-2014, 11:44 AM
He's calling Firefox a RUBBISH browser.. 54404

- - - Updated - - -

I can't enter any worlds in the world selextion .-.