PDA

View Full Version : Ruby

Syberg
01-20-2015, 05:08 PM
After a few years from not successful try to learn c++ as first language (I know!) I have decided to start myself off with something easier. Somehow Ruby caught my eye (maybe because I like Japan?) and just yesterday decided to learn it. For my surprise it is so easy to understand everything! As far as I am it is as easy as html code that I was learning three years ago... It might be because I didn't even finish the 20 minutes tutorial that Ruby website gives, but maybe the language is really that easy?
Anyone else used Ruby as their first language? Is it really as easy as it looks?

Brennanber
01-20-2015, 06:07 PM
Its good to know people like you are getting your priorities straight and doing what you want to do!:)

Syberg
01-21-2015, 09:46 PM
So for another day with Ruby I would say it is getting easier. Maybe it just looks like that for me because I have some experiences with C, but it is not something extremely difficult to use if you have a good tutorial before your eyes.
Talking about tutorials, still haven't finished 20 minutes guide from official website, instead found another, maybe better, but not so known website that has quite a lot of functions, lessons are written on the left, you can input code on the right and see it on the right as well! It is pretty cool in my opinion, saves time. Thought, maybe not that useful if you want to know what you are doing with normal editor... But well, everything seems to be going really good to me so far! I don't even have real questions! (Well, unless wanting to know what actually add "def" is question? But that will be for google, somehow I feel that it adds methods?)

Its good to know people like you are getting your priorities straight and doing what you want to do!:)
I was thinking about getting on programming track again for a while now, but only recently I became obsessed with that idea... So far no regrets about coming back!

Lenz
01-22-2015, 03:52 AM
Ruby is my favorite language <3

And yes, def is what tells the Ruby interpreter you're about to name and define a new method (in case you haven't googled it yet ;p)

Good luck :D

SCOOBYDOOFAN
01-22-2015, 03:55 AM
I have actually never heard of the language Ruby, I will have to look at it.

Turkeysalad
01-26-2015, 07:16 PM
My first programming language was html, then i learned some php and then came javascript, witch u dont know very well.

Goldie
01-26-2015, 07:20 PM
Im learning python.
I started programming on fridday xD so far i have learnt how to make a
Finance calculator
Maths calculator of geometrical shapes :D

Turkeysalad
01-26-2015, 07:28 PM
Im learning python.
Finance calculator

*claps*Best girl programmer i have ever seen! -IGN

- - - Updated - - -

Only girl who i have seen programming.

Syberg
01-27-2015, 05:52 PM
Im learning python.
Finance calculator
Nice! Keep up your good work!

Brennanber
02-04-2015, 04:43 AM
My first programming language was html, then i learned some php and then came javascript, witch u dont know very well.

My first language was english which you dont know very well.

Syberg
02-04-2015, 04:49 AM

Actually I do know html with css, but I don't see why I should learn web based languages (I know, ruby is used for web, but it's still flexible and nice). My goal isn't really making amazing websites even thought it would be nice, I just want to learn how to make windows programs and stuff with c++ or Java, that's why my first language is Ruby! (Talking about that, I am still not stuck, thought made a little break from it... Will be back with coding soon, but my time that I somehow had was just lost!)