PDA

View Full Version : Total Conversion

Mipmap
05-15-2007, 12:13 AM
Are we allowed to do a total conversion of the game?

What I mean is if we did something like edit Funeral Quest in such a way that we would end up changing a massive amount of the game. Like anything from all speech and event text to the graphics of buttons, people and even the graphics of the menus and the splash screen.

Are there any restrictions to what we are allowed to make modifications to due to technical reasons, or otherwise?

Oh, one other thing I have a question about was something I saw on the Funeral Quest page:

All Flash source included so you can edit/create more graphics/sounds.
Easily add new events with new graphics and sounds using flash templates - they are loaded on the fly as they happen.

Is this referring to the .swf files that I saw in the demo files? Or do we get the Flash .FLA files any other source files for the all the Flash content so we can edit those as well?

Seth
05-15-2007, 12:22 AM
You're free to edit as much as you can, although be warned, much of the misc text in the game is hardcoded and cannot be changed. Unless you wanted to play with hex editing the exe.

The file fq_flash_94.exe contains all the .fla's for your editing pleasure. (these are the source for the exact versions included in the distribution)

Between scripting and Flash changes, a lot can be changed, but doing this is more or less not official supported as mistakes could cause bugs/etc.

jjohn
05-16-2007, 09:46 PM
Are there any restrictions to what we are allowed to make modifications to due to technical reasons, or otherwise?

Note that FQ.EXE has the game logic in it. The flash client is just that. You can script a great deal in the game, but you couldn't easily implement, say, chess in FQ.

On the other hand, there is a basic feedback loop you can program so that you can respond to an infinite amount of user input.