PDA

View Full Version : I need an estimate for game development ?

ronnypandey240
05-27-2015, 11:32 AM
Hello Rtsoft Forum .. I am 19 years old with no prior knowledge on how to actually CREATE a video game nor have I taken any classes. I have 3DS max, UDK, Adobe Photoshop, it's dark and I am wearing sunglasses. I have a great idea with the size and scope and originality of popular games like Skyrim or Farcry 3. It's just me with no development team. About how long will it take to finish such a project and is it even worth it?

darksnake99
05-27-2015, 05:34 PM
An insane amount. The game worlds in Far Cry and Skyrom are huge, with tons of models, textures, and sounds specifically made for them. And with no prior knowledge you won't get far. Sorry bud. You need an entire section team for stuff that huge.

peck
05-27-2015, 05:43 PM
Hello Rtsoft Forum .. I am 19 years old with no prior knowledge on how to actually CREATE a video game nor have I taken any classes. I have 3DS max, UDK, Adobe Photoshop, it's dark and I am wearing sunglasses. I have a great idea with the size and scope and originality of popular games like Skyrim or Farcry 3. It's just me with no development team. About how long will it take to finish such a project and is it even worth it?

Google game development tutorials now that they are so available. Who knows how long it'l take as it's really dependent on your dedication.

darksnake99
05-27-2015, 07:15 PM
Google game development tutorials now that they are so available. Who knows how long it'l take as it's really dependent on your dedication.

There is still no way you can afford to develop that on your own. You'd need a lot of time, skill, and money to finance it. Just too much. I'd just say start small.

peck
05-27-2015, 09:43 PM
There is still no way you can afford to develop that on your own. You'd need a lot of time, skill, and money to finance it. Just too much. I'd just say start small.
Yes the expectations are unrealistic but
He hasn't listed a budget for any of these things and it sounds like he has the software covered. If he's dedicated then he can go for it, may turn out to fail but he'll learn much more that way than making tic tac toe games for years. Eventually, he can make this when he has a team or just working for some company. As I said he just has to know he's dedicated. (I know this is very not possible and i'm pretty sure he knows too)

To poster,
If you're making it with a team you have to know what you're going to do. Depending on what you're doing, it'l take however many years of preparation. Practice, goto some college clubs, make one, anything you can. You don't need tips or random people like me trying to make some point.

Zerkon
05-27-2015, 10:56 PM
Well, I am 12 and am already in development into a game, and for you this would probably be much easier. I suggest also getting unity, as you can learn c# or javascript, both languages very easy to learn. Making something as big as farcry and skyrim is something different. that would take multiple people. try making small games, like the above mentioned tic-tac-toe, or other simple games. Eventually you would get there, but it would take several years

Conan
05-27-2015, 11:00 PM
Familiarize with different game engines ;)

Id like to use Unreal engine but you could try Unity since I HEARD C# is somewhat easier to use