PDA

View Full Version : Isometric view and control_filtery

illspirit
07-24-2008, 09:48 PM
I started to experiment with an isometric view yesterday, mainly to see how hard it would be to render tileable stuff from that angle. The tiling wasn't as hard as it seemed, and making paths to match the perspective worked for the most part. The only problem is that the controls don't want to play along.

Since the view is skewed, I figured adding "control_filtery=0.5" to the brain base would slow the vertical movement to match, but it kinda just makes the player feel slippery. Is the control filter even supposed to work like that? Or is the way I rotated the controls (left = C_FACING_UP_LEFT, right = C_FACING_DOWN_RIGHT, etc..) just confusing it?

If anyone wants to play with the world, download it here (http://media.gtanet.com/illspirit/files/NS-isometry.zip) (1.7MB).

Seth
07-24-2008, 11:24 PM
Very cool :)

The filter did seem to work as it's supposed to - to me, going directly up and down definitely does move slower with it on.. I guess I'd have to play some ultima online to remember how iso movement is supposed to be.

The big difference is they force everyone to stick to a single tile rather than allowing pixel free movement in tiny increments.

Here is a quick player script I fiddled with, quick turns, more dampening, only up and down are made slower, and I made the diagonal movement fit the tiles better, dunno but thought I'd share.

illspirit
07-25-2008, 01:24 AM
Sweet! That helped a lot. :)

I stumbled across some article about iso tiles while looking for something else, and the magic number is apparently 26.565. I just suck at math and coding, and wasn't sure how to get to that number in LUA. But, yea, my math could still be wrong, but changing the 0.314 angle modifier in your updated script to 0.32175 seems to have done the trick. It might still wander off course after a long distance though, but it's not noticeable at the current map size.

*edit: Added a few more tiles, cleaned up the priest's walk animation, and converted the test attack spell over from my other game. Probably not going to work on it anymore though since this isometric stuff makes my brain cry. :p

Download is here (http://media.gtanet.com/illspirit/files/NS_isometry2.zip) (2.43MB). Might be helpful to someone else who wants to make an isometric game.

Checho
09-13-2008, 01:03 AM
Hey!.... i want to make an isometric game.... can i use your work like a base? i'm really noob for this (just mugen, rpgmaker, etc, etc)... anyway, good work ;)

illspirit
09-20-2008, 03:45 AM
Sorry for the slow reply, I've been at work way too much recently. But, yea, go for it. :)