PDA

View Full Version : Viewing DragonEggs.png in Map

ShellGame
08-31-2008, 05:46 AM
Running most recent release of Novashell engine on Mac OS X 10.5.1. Working through Getting Started Tutorials (Part 3).

Unable to see DragonEggs.png in Main map. Tried creating map dir "_Images" with same result.

Tried restart (Ctrl+Shift+R), also closing and reopening NovasShell, plus restarting Mac. No luck.

Notice that Dragon Eggs Intro map lacks text "Edit".

Seth
08-31-2008, 07:19 AM
Hrm, let me ask some questions to clarify.

If you run the "Example - Empty Skeleton" world, do you see all three buttons: "New, Continue and Edit"? If so, they should really show up later after copying these dirs into your own world in tutorial 3.

I checked tutorial 3 and there is no DragonEggs.png mentioned. In the "Importing Tiles" section it asks you download my_image.png and place it in your map directory. Do you mean you did this, but when you tried Utilities->Import Images you didn't see that image on the list?

I haven't gone through these tutorials on a Mac yet.. has anybody done this? Did it work? :eek::confused:

ShellGame
08-31-2008, 11:17 PM
Seth, thanks for your reply. The main problem is solved. For some reason, I didn't try Utilities->Import Images.

Regarding the image file name: You are right, the file name is "my_image.png", but it seemed reasonable to change the name to "DragonEggs.png". There's a screen shot in the tutorial that shows "Tile/Entity Properties" set to "Value:[My World]". The tutorial notes that the reader, of course, should set the value to "Dragon Eggs".

Of course "Example - Empty Skeleton" world has all three buttons. The missing button must be another goof on my part, and it was the second time I had tried this! The tutorial is well written, but I seemed to be getting tripped up for some reason. It's probably just the awkwardness of reading a computer screen: switching windows, resizing, scrolling.

ShellGame
09-02-2008, 02:58 AM
By the way, Seth, how does one remove an image from a world? I find that after deleting the imported image from the DragonEggs/maps/Main directory, Novashell quits unexpectedly the next time it is loaded. (This occurs whether or not the image has been deleted from the displayed map.)

Seth
09-02-2008, 03:25 AM
By the way, Seth, how does one remove an image from a world? I find that after deleting the imported image from the DragonEggs/maps/Main directory, Novashell quits unexpectedly the next time it is loaded. (This occurs whether or not the image has been deleted from the displayed map.)

Hmm, it should be ok with you removing the image file. If any tiles still use it, you should see the error log pop up telling you which image is missing, you can delete them or use the "Remove all invalid tilepics from map" (or something like that) option.

If it's crashing it's gotta be a giant bug. :excl: I'm sort of stuck on other stuff right now but will check it soon.

ShellGame
09-02-2008, 07:31 PM
The option is:

Tile Edit Floating Palette > Utilities > Remove tiles with missing graphics (limited by view)

There were no tiles with missing graphics, but the phrase "limited by view" suggested something. I moved the Tile Edit Floating Palette and found a tile hidden under it. After deleting this tile, I saved the map and removed the image from DragonEggs/maps/Main. The next time Novashell was opened, it loaded okay, but Novashell crashed again when I tried to open the Main map.

Incidentally, while using the mouse scroll ball to look around for tiles, I discovered that too great a reduction would also cause Novashell to crash. This did not happen when enlarging.