PDA

View Full Version : Questions about features

nihilocrat
11-20-2008, 02:18 PM
Hey, sorry if these questions have already been answered somewhere else, but I've played around with the engine a bit and have got some concerns. I think I know the answers but I just want to make sure.

Is there any support for network multiplayer?
Is there any support for splitscreen multiplayer?
It seems like there is, but is there support for non-splitscreen, same-machine multiplayer?
Can more than one map be "active" at a time? Say I have a game where AI enemies can fight each other. I warp into a map, and I see a fight starts between enemies. I warp out of the map, and do something else for a few minutes. Will they keep fighting in the map I'm not in?

This is a lot more specific to what I'm working on right now, and not really about the engine in general:

Has anyone else made a spaceship-oriented game using Newtonian physics, a la Asteroids or SpaceWar!, and how did you get the ship movement to work right? I can't get the engine to realize I set dampening to 0, and even with dampening the simulation (using ApplyForce) seems really sloppy. I can't get it to always fly in the exact direction I'm actually pointing in (it seems to only really want me to fly in the 8 cardinal directions, even though I rotate using SetRotation), and if I thrust back and forth in the same direction, the path my ship traces is somehow elliptical and not just a straight line. I will zip up my source and attach it sometime today.

Thanks!

Seth
11-20-2008, 10:49 PM
# Is there any support for network multiplayer?
# Is there any support for splitscreen multiplayer?

No to both of these.

It seems like there is, but is there support for non-splitscreen, same-machine multiplayer?

Yes - One of the examples allows up to four players via keyboard or 4 gamepads in a Mario-Bros like game.

* Can more than one map be "active" at a time? Say I have a game where AI enemies can fight each other. I warp into a map, and I see a fight starts between enemies. I warp out of the map, and do something else for a few minutes. Will they keep fighting in the map I'm not in?

Yes - in the NPC example, the maid will continue to clean and walk throughout the world independently of what map the player is on.

Entities are automatically shutdown when they stop moving to save CPU by default, but you can fine-tune the behavior as desired.

nihilocrat
11-21-2008, 01:11 AM
Thanks for the info, I just realized that your platformer example supported multiple players. Sorry about that!

I have attached the source for my game. You can see that I'm doing the movement for the player manually in Lua. It works just fine, but I would rather use the built-in functions if they would provide what I'm looking for.