PDA

View Full Version : making a game for the iphone

Phonetools
04-09-2009, 06:55 AM
Hey seth, or anyone else who might be able to help me...
so awhile ago i came up with the crazy idea of trying to develop a commercial game for the iphone. the kind of game i want to make would be a simple isometric action-rpg type game... something that novashell would be perfect for.

So, being a complete amateur to making games and programming and whatnot i've been trying to figure out how to do this. after many hours of searching the internet researching game development for the iphone, and downloading a few of the open source iphone game engines and having now idea how to use them, i found novashell, and it looks like it would be perfect.

so i guess what i'm wondering is: would it even be possible to make a game with novashell, and then port it to the iphone? if not, do you have any advice for a complete n00b about how to make a game on the iphone? i mean i guess i could buy something like the itorque, but i dont want to, you know, spend money!!
thanks

Seth
04-09-2009, 10:53 PM
Most of Novashell would run fine on an iPhone but the real problem is you would also need to port the underlying game library, Clanlib.

Or at least replace major pieces of it, such as clanDisplay, and pieces of it would have to be written in Obj-C. So, if you want to go this route you need to have some skillz, my man.

do you have any advice for a complete n00b about how to make a game on the iphone?

iTorque or Unity is probably your best bet if you're in a rush (yep, $$) , otherwise, I'd suggest learning Obj-C and Cocoa for the Mac in general, then applying that to iPhone, which is very similar.