PDA

View Full Version : Please end the pain!

NovaLaw
04-26-2009, 06:54 PM
Hey, what happened! I'm on Ubuntu (Jaunty). I used to be able to use synaptic package manager to download and brainlessly install ClanLib .8. Novashell used to work just fine. Now everything has changed and nothing will build for me. The ./configure complained about LINUX_JOYSTICK not being defined. Novashell complains about "libclanApp.so.1". Blah, Blah. Nothing but problems.
I really have no use for building it myself, I just wanna play. Can someone put up some pre-built linux binaries beside the windows binaries? Or better still, add the new version(s) for me in synaptic.
Or at the very least put up some instructions for idiots like me that WORK! When I see posts like one I saw on here somewhere that's like 3 screens long and has you modifying source code to get it to work, I put my tail between my legs and run!
This has to be the coolest but most bizarre lib out there! I love it, but only pre-built and ready to go. Your system is to complex for idiots like me. So please help me out! I'm sure plenty of people - idiots or not - would appreciate seeing the new versions in synaptic package manager.

Thanks, and it's good to see progress with ClanLib. For a while I thought it was dead! Keep up the great work!

Seth
04-27-2009, 11:50 PM
I totally agree, the Linux stuff is way tricky and constantly breaking on one system or another.

I do have binaries for Linux novashell online (http://www.rtsoft.com/novashell/) btw - but you need Clanlib 1.0 installed to use them.. it's very new so you'd probably have to svn and build it yourself. (or wait for 1.0 to make its way into official ubuntu distribution packages?)

The cool thing about using my binaries is they include everything needed to also package and spit out native Windows and Mac builds of any game directly from Linux.

General plea for help: :wheelchair:

If any Linux experts out there want to help me maintain the Linux novashell and possibly help with getting it officially put into distributions, let me know.

erikharrison
04-30-2009, 09:12 PM
Hey Seth.

I've actually got some changes in my local copy of Novashell that fixes some minor build issues on Linux. However, I still can't actually get Novashell to work - probably my/nVidia's fault. Looks like having the nVidia driver installed and then removed can break your GLX libs. Yay.

I'd be happy to take a look at the build system and pass on what I discover. I'm not an expert, but at least Linux is my primary OS.

Seth
05-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Thanks Erik, any advice/ svn patches are appreciated...

NovaLaw
05-03-2009, 03:56 AM
Thanks for the reply Seth!
First, I'm sorry. I thought I was posting on the ClanLib forums. I haven't tried to understand how, but somehow I think you are connected to the ClanLib anyway, so I guess my post is ok here...?
Anyhow, I've since switched back to windows for development. Unfortunately I'm gonna have to pass Novashell by for my project because I need an in game GUI, which I don't see in your product yet. Excellent work - Keep it up!!!