PDA

View Full Version : Search feature on the scripting reference

Pleng
05-19-2009, 09:14 AM
When searching the scripting reference I often think of a keyword for what I would like to achieve (for example, 'speed' if I want to set the speed of an object). However, the keyword itself will return no results as no functions actually start with the word 'speed'.

OK, so now I am getting to grips with Novashell I know that I need to search for things like SetSpeed, or GetSpeed, so I can try these searches, however in this case the desired function would be SetDesiredSpeed() or GetDesiredSpeed(). I would not be able to find this from the search, however. I would have to know that the function comes under the Entity logic and scroll through the list of functions to find it.

While I can now usually find what I'm looking for, any potential new users of the system might struggle to understand the concepts of Entitys, Maps, Goals etc (I know it took me a while!)

Is it possible to alter the search so it doesn't only return matches in whole words? Maybe giving the option of 'match whole word only' as a checkbox.

Seth
05-20-2009, 02:37 AM
I totally agree.

The search function is part of the automatic documentation system (http://www.naturaldocs.org) I use (it scans the source files and makes the docs each time I run the release script).

It doesn't look like they've added/fixed that feature yet but hopefully someday they might.

It is possible to use google search (site:www.rtsoft.com/novashell/docs/api Speed) but it's pretty useless because it will only give you the .html the search hit, which is EVERY entity function so meh.

Pleng
05-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Ahh ok.

Have you added it as a feature request?

Seth
05-21-2009, 12:10 AM
Hi, no I have not. Please feel free :)

Pleng
05-21-2009, 07:15 AM
:) OK Will do

Pleng
06-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Done (http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2801665&group_id=81796&atid=564052)!

Sorry it took a while, have been pretty busy lately.