PDA

View Full Version : how about iPhone support?

koloska
06-01-2009, 06:57 PM
Hello there,

First off all great work Seth! It'll be nice to see some roadmap of your engine.

Please can you tell us how about iPhone/PocketPC support? Do you want to port the engine on others platforms than PC?

I'll be gratefull for ansfer.

Best regards,
Andrzej Koloska

Seth
06-01-2009, 11:19 PM
Hi Andrzej,

I think an iPhone port (of the runtime, without the editor..) is likely at some point, but I couldn't give a time-frame on when I would do that, or say I definitely would.

It sort of depends on when I need lua/tilemap/2d physics features on the iPhone.

Less sure about PocketPC, I haven't worked with one of those in a while. But if I did an iPhone port, it means ClanLib 1.0 is now GL ES ready so it shouldn't be too big a deal.

koloska
06-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Thanks for fast reply.

You have some engine development roadmap? Or you'r now fixing bugs, and have no idea for a long term engine development?

Sorry for asking

Seth
06-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Yep, it's more or less done and I'm just fixing bugs at this point.

koloska
06-02-2009, 12:05 PM
last part of questions:

- if someone will give you couple of new fearture list, you'll reconside implement them on engine?

- if someone will add new fearture it's posible to share it with you, and you'll be able to add them to repository?

- can I make Novashell game development blog? (basicly learn ppl to make games using your engine)

- can I make Novashell port to iPhone (not commercial project) and share it with you?

- can you consider to start bugs public database? (I mean flyspray or bugzilla) everyone will be able to view, add and maybe repair bugs. I think that engine community is poor, and maybe you should think about that.

Pleng
06-02-2009, 05:31 PM
But if I did an iPhone port, it means ClanLib 1.0 is now GL ES ready...

Which would make a Pandora port a lot more feasible :D

By the way, this (http://forum.openhandhelds.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=884) may be useful when it comes to making ClanLib GL ES ready.

To spread the word and show the world how great the system is, I think it would be good to get (run-time at least) versions of Novashell out in as many of the homebrew scenes as possible. I'm sure there are plenty of people with PSPs, Wiis etc... who would like a way to create their own games. I guess it would be pretty difficult to port to all these systems though!

Seth
06-04-2009, 01:09 AM
- if someone will give you couple of new fearture list, you'll reconside implement them on engine?

I'm happy to consider any feature requests.

if someone will add new fearture it's posible to share it with you, and you'll be able to add them to repository?

Sure! Unless it was ugly code, or broke existing things. After someone sort of 'proved' them self with good patches, I'd have no problem giving them full commit access to svn as well.

- can I make Novashell game development blog? (basicly learn ppl to make games using your engine)

Sure!

- can I make Novashell port to iPhone (not commercial project) and share it with you?

Sure! By the way, you actually DON'T have to share it back with me, and you CAN use it in commercial projects. (Of course, sharing is the nice thing to do, right? :) ) (zlib style licenses are great)

- can you consider to start bugs public database? (I mean flyspray or bugzilla) everyone will be able to view, add and maybe repair bugs. I think that engine community is poor, and maybe you should think about that.

I feel such a database would only really be useful if there were multiple developers (there isn't) otherwise I think posting about bugs in the forum is working out ok for now.

koloska
06-04-2009, 06:08 PM
thanks Seth for ansfers.
btw Is there any downloable version of 'Novashell Scripting Reference' ?

Seth
06-04-2009, 11:13 PM
Hi, there currently isn't. Maybe I should be packaging a version with the main program, hrm.

If you are running windows you can build your own version of the docs using the batch file script "win_make_docs.bat" in the scripts folder. (after you checkout the svn tree)

It requires NaturalDocs (http://www.naturaldocs.org/download.html) to be installed.