PDA

View Full Version : BioTux, Is it possible?

NinjaNumberNine
10-14-2009, 05:38 PM
I have wanted to make a clone of SuperTux (http://supertux.lethargik.org/screenshots.html) for a long time, but I was learning programming very slowly. Then I saw NovaShell. I WAS HOOKED. Right away I started drawing the graphics and sprite images. However, when I tried to follow the Dragon Eggs tutorial on the site (substituting the art for my own as much as possible, that's probably where the problem lies) I could not get the "entity" to move at all. :eek: I checked everything I could think of, but I only succeeded in getting more messed up than ever. I have a couple questions about NovaShell:

Can you make a "world map" that has a road and such that a small penguin could 'walk' along it and turn into a side path, press enter and be in a 2d platform level?
Can you create a *.exe file from the game so that you don't have to install the complete Novashell development environment to play it?
What's the easiest way to create a *.xml file? And how do I deal with the *.TGA files?
Are you (assuming Seth Robinson reads this) too busy to help occasionaly on this project? All I really need is to learn how to make an entity and make it move.

By the way, the program looks great. Thanks for an excellent product. I just need to learn how to use it right and I can do WONDERS... ;)

My favorite thing is the "physics" effect, and my favorite built-in game is Tree World. That's the kind of platformer that BioTux will be.

If you want to know more about the project, follow this link, please.

http:
//ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1290670 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1290670)

Oh, and I use Windows for NovaShell, but I am designing the program for Ubuntu/Linux users. Do NovaShell games work well in Linux? :confused:

Once again, thanks for the great product. And remember, for anyone else here,''BioTux need contributors!'' :D

Seth
10-15-2009, 01:01 AM
Welcome to the Novashell forums!

1. Yes
2. Yes, there is a "make stand-alone windows or mac" option directly from inside the editor
3. They are just text files, easiest way is to copy an existing one from the script directory and edit it with a text editor
4. Yes - I'm too busy :sweatdrop: But I try, for instance, I answer a lot of questions but actually stopping to look at someones project and debug it for them is probably not going to happen much :wheelchair:

Do NovaShell games work well in Linux?

Yep, novashell runs fine on linux.

NinjaNumberNine
10-15-2009, 01:11 PM
Welcome to the Novashell forums!

1. Yes
2. Yes, there is a "make stand-alone windows or mac" option directly from inside the editor
3. They are just text files, easiest way is to copy an existing one from the script directory and edit it with a text editor
4. Yes - I'm too busy :sweatdrop: But I try, for instance, I answer a lot of questions but actually stopping to look at someones project and debug it for them is probably not going to happen much :wheelchair:

Yep, novashell runs fine on linux.

Thanks, Seth! I like how you maintain these forums yourself. (you made the product, you know how it works)

Also, its fine that you are busy. I wasn't expecting more, just wondered...

Just one more thing, could you briefly explain the method for creating a "steerable" entity (even with just one picture like in Dragon Eggs?) out of my own pictures?
Also I'm not really sure what a TGA file is either... Notepad and jEdit just show gibberish when I load them.

sphair
10-15-2009, 01:22 PM
TGA is just an image format. You can use PNG instead, if thats a format you're more familiar with.

NinjaNumberNine
10-15-2009, 05:41 PM
TGA is just an image format. You can use PNG instead, if thats a format you're more familiar with.

Thanks for the info. BTW I finally got a steerable character! :eek:
Now, he just "floats" though. How do you create a gravity 'base' that everything sucks to? :confused: I have been encouraged a lot today. TY!