PDA

View Full Version : Yes, gotto work for my dreams

Hypnoid
02-22-2016, 06:49 PM
I really want to learn codding. Who knows, maybe in future I'll work in the biggest company, or just make my own big company, or i would work alone, who knows?

My question: Where should I start [would be helpful if you give the program too]

Hypnoid
02-22-2016, 07:51 PM
little bump

albzterninja
02-22-2016, 08:05 PM
Well I can't consider me to be the goto guy for coding advice but I recently started watching John Purcells C++ beginer guide. I'd recomend to start with something easier to learn, like Python. But I really like the Syntax (syntax = 'programing grammar'). If you now want to program you should first decide what language you'd like to learn. If you'd want to learn C++ maybe check John Purcell's videos (YT: Cave Of Programming). Also if you don't like those tutorials for any reason I've heard good things about TheNewBoston. I'm currently at video 45 of John Purcell's programming course. He explains very well and I follow easily. And if you get lost he always reply within 2 days. (Often after a hour but maybe he's busy). Best of luck to your new journey. And I'm pretty sure Steve Jobs, Bill Gates and other extremely succesful coders were driven not ONLY by money, but alot of motivation. Don't do it for the money, if you learn to program for the money, you won't come far unless you completely burn yourself everyday.

Phemus
02-22-2016, 08:38 PM
I think starting with Design is good idea.

AtkinsSJ
02-23-2016, 02:40 PM
You might want to try something like GameMaker (http://www.yoyogames.com/). It's originally how I got started making games back in the distant past! :prophet: It's changed a bit since then, but looks just as good if not better.

It lets you make games without having to learn to write code, but when you feel a bit more confident you can add code to make your games much fancier. It's not perfect, and eventually I wanted a bit more control and started using something else, but it's a good place to start. And it's free unless you want to pay for the big fancy version, but you don't need to at all.

Hypnoid
02-23-2016, 02:44 PM
You might want to try something like GameMaker (http://www.yoyogames.com/). It's originally how I got started making games back in the distant past! :prophet: It's changed a bit since then, but looks just as good if not better.

It lets you make games without having to learn to write code, but when you feel a bit more confident you can add code to make your games much fancier. It's not perfect, and eventually I wanted a bit more control and started using something else, but it's a good place to start. And it's free unless you want to pay for the big fancy version, but you don't need to at all.

I tried GameMaker, cool app. But I want to learn codding, espically interested in C+++. Even tough its really hard language so I would like something that I can start as a beginner.

P.S: Congrats on your moderationship.

MyLegGuy
02-24-2016, 01:42 AM
I tried GameMaker, cool app. But I want to learn codding, espically interested in C+++. Even tough its really hard language so I would like something that I can start as a beginner.

Why not learn C# or Java?

Comment
02-24-2016, 01:43 AM
I want to learn coding, too, for my 2D kind of mini (not so mini) game where you can explore and defeat more than 300+ bosses and become the best warrior eva

AtkinsSJ
02-24-2016, 03:22 PM

Firstly, thanks!

What I'd recommend then is Unity (http://unity3d.com/). You can write code either in C# (which has a lot of similarities with C++ but isn't as awkward) or a couple of other languages, and it provides a really nice 3D editor and some basic scripts for things like player movement to get you started. It's free unless you want super-fancy things. I know a lot of people, even with a lot of experience making games, who really like it. I've made a couple of little games in it and it makes things pretty easy, but it's still proper coding. A lot of people also provide free tutorials and code for it if you search the internet, too.

Whatever you choose, I look forward to seeing what you (and anyone else) come up with!

|ThyLuigi|
02-25-2016, 12:01 AM
List of languages, easiest to hardest. If they're on the same line, then they're about the same difficulty.

General Use:

Python / Ruby
Perl
Javascript
Objective C
C# / Java

Web Languages:
HTML & CSS
Javascript
PHP

Of these, I highly recommend Javascript, C#, Java, or Ruby. Have fun. :]

Now, if you want to be a total failure who has panick attacks every time you see a line of code, do C++.

- - - Updated - - -

I want to learn coding, too, for my 2D kind of mini (not so mini) game where you can explore and defeat more than 300+ bosses and become the best warrior eva

Is it going to have random generation too?
And awesome graphics?
And really super cool enemy AI?

If don't get what I'm saying, it's that you're aiming too high. Right now I'm trying to learn game development, and it's rather hard to even comprehend how hitboxes, AI, or gamestates work.

Conan
02-27-2016, 03:23 AM
Steve jobs never coded, he doesnt know how to. Steve wozniak did all that, jobs was just the business man. And I hate to run in here like peck but c++ is a real waste of time unless you're strictly on microsoft visual imo.

Really? (On the C++ stuff)
C++ is a waste of time? How can you say so? C++ is tied to Visual studio? You kiddin me?
what about the other IDEs out there? Can't they use C++? YES THEY CAN.

C++ isn't like C# that is mostly tied to Windows (Unless mono framework? dunno)

Check your facts mate

- - - Updated - - -

List of languages, easiest to hardest. If they're on the same line, then they're about the same difficulty.

General Use:

Python / Ruby
Perl
Javascript
Objective C
C# / Java

Web Languages:
HTML & CSS
Javascript
PHP

Of these, I highly recommend Javascript, C#, Java, or Ruby. Have fun. :]

Now, if you want to be a total failure who has panick attacks every time you see a line of code, do C++.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it going to have random generation too?
And awesome graphics?
And really super cool enemy AI?

If don't get what I'm saying, it's that you're aiming too high. Right now I'm trying to learn game development, and it's rather hard to even comprehend how hitboxes, AI, or gamestates work.
A correction

You can't include programming languages that is used for different purpose here. (Javascript)
I'd recommend studying C/C++ before any C-like programming languages
General Use:

Python / Ruby
Perl
C/C++
Objective C
C# / Java

- - - Updated - - -

As for peck saying that it's dead, it's still useful for other stuff. (HHVM uses C++ mostly lol)

I'm trying to study golang right now. I recommend it lol

|ThyLuigi|
03-01-2016, 11:47 PM
Really? (On the C++ stuff)
C++ is a waste of time? How can you say so? C++ is tied to Visual studio? You kiddin me?
what about the other IDEs out there? Can't they use C++? YES THEY CAN.

C++ isn't like C# that is mostly tied to Windows (Unless mono framework? dunno)

Check your facts mate

- - - Updated - - -

A correction

You can't include programming languages that is used for different purpose here. (Javascript)
I'd recommend studying C/C++ before any C-like programming languages
General Use:

Python / Ruby
Perl
C/C++
Objective C
C# / Java

- - - Updated - - -

As for peck saying that it's dead, it's still useful for other stuff. (HHVM uses C++ mostly lol)

I'm trying to study golang right now. I recommend it lol

I said Javascript because it can be used for more than just websites. And for a first language to learn, C++ is like going from english to chinese.

LURD
03-14-2016, 02:09 PM
If you want to learn code yet want to have some fun try: codecombat.com/play, choose python or javascript as your programming language.

albzterninja
03-25-2016, 07:43 PM
Steve jobs never coded, he doesnt know how to. Steve wozniak did all that, jobs was just the business man. And I hate to run in here like peck but c++ is a real waste of time unless you're strictly on microsoft visual imo.

Well, we learn something new everyday. Appreciate the opinion, though C++ might be a waste in the jobs industry (wich it isn't if you find the right company they'll pay loads of money) I'm learning right now for fun. Plus I've come too long to stop, months of learning will have gone to waste. When I learn C++ I'll definitly pick up some more frequently used languages in the job industry.

PomtapomGaming
04-04-2016, 11:30 AM
Just Learn Java its kinda good for beginners :/
I just heard its for newbies but i don't know but you gotta try to see if you can do it.
-pomtapom
p.s. you can search up basic tutorials on how to code. Java.

|ThyLuigi|
04-04-2016, 09:46 PM
Just Learn Java its kinda good for beginners :/
I just heard its for newbies but i don't know but you gotta try to see if you can do it.
-pomtapom
p.s. you can search up basic tutorials on how to code. Java.
Java is good for beginners, but it isn't any cake walk either. I personally hate the structure, but it's the most popular language in the world right now, so it's definitely worth learning.