PDA

View Full Version : Sighs.....Again!

Hawk
02-25-2010, 03:37 PM
Ok, it crashed again right in the middle of my play and on my birthday too....oh well, I have appointments today and was trying to get through my games before they started. Guess I didn't make it. Hope I didn't lose anything, but it would not matter anyway, I am so far behind from being sick and missing days. :(

Seth, are you going to shut the game down in a couple days after the tourney for repairs? If so, will you please let us know what is going on with the innards? I for one, would appreciate the knowledge....:whistling:

mckinney
02-25-2010, 10:52 PM
Well to be. I can't get on. Seth, did the software ever find the problem or is it a little deeper than that? It go's well then it stops. What the heck could do this to the games I wonder.

Seth
02-26-2010, 01:58 AM
Yeah - looks like it crashed right after I went to bed last night.

The reason this particular bug is hard to catch is:

Rare, and unreproducible on demand, and is somehow magically connected to my sleeping patterns
The crash happens deep inside of windows rather than my program, the debug stack gives me no symbols, I think it may be a threading issue and connected to the dual processor

So here are my choices:

Kill the game and possibly look at it in a few months when I have more time to babysit.. there is a danger that it might not go back up, because free time is hard to come by and this project makes no cash (but I love FQ and don't want to kill it!)

Run the next tourney, and try a few bandiad fixes that *might* work.. like, put the computer in single thread mode (or that particular process) - maybe have it restart itself nightly (this crash crash seems to only happen after a few days) - maybe move the "reset" time to when I am awake, as that's when the server gets busy and is more likely to crash.

I figure there are about 80 regular players in this game, so I'm sort of leaning towards keeping it going and hoping a band-aid solution will get it through.

Any thoughts? Without you guys I would have taken it down by now, so your opinion matters!

mckinney
02-26-2010, 05:41 AM
I'm very sure you are a very very busy person with the hussle and bussle of life. Me personally, I like this game. However I do understand where you are coming from on the fact that...

1) It gives you no income.

2) You personally like the game as well as others.

I have a hard enough time keeping all of my computers in line. I'm not the computer type. I would love for you to keep the game going. It's fun yet very calming at times.

My vote on keeping the game on or taking it off and the not returning to the web. Keep it on, and try and find the problem.

Hawk
02-26-2010, 10:12 AM
Yeah - looks like it crashed right after I went to bed last night.

The reason this particular bug is hard to catch is:

Rare, and unreproducible on demand, and is somehow magically connected to my sleeping patterns
The crash happens deep inside of windows rather than my program, the debug stack gives me no symbols, I think it may be a threading issue and connected to the dual processor

So here are my choices:

Kill the game and possibly look at it in a few months when I have more time to babysit.. there is a danger that it might not go back up, because free time is hard to come by and this project makes no cash (but I love FQ and don't want to kill it!)

Run the next tourney, and try a few bandiad fixes that *might* work.. like, put the computer in single thread mode (or that particular process) - maybe have it restart itself nightly (this crash crash seems to only happen after a few days) - maybe move the "reset" time to when I am awake, as that's when the server gets busy and is more likely to crash.

I figure there are about 80 regular players in this game, so I'm sort of leaning towards keeping it going and hoping a band-aid solution will get it through.

Any thoughts? Without you guys I would have taken it down by now, so your opinion matters!

Oh, ouch! I hate when those type of bugs appear, especially when they are attached to the brain waves that come around when you sleep.:whistling:
We had to tackle something close to this in college and it finally turned out to be a component deep inside the computer that finally broke and shut down the whole campus for a month and a half because the part had to be ordered from, of all places, Japan. Once that was replaced, things were smooth sailing. But boy was it a headache finding that thing. But then, I don't suppose you run a Hewlitt Packard series 3000 either.

I agree on moving the reset stage to an awake time for you, that way you don't really have to babysit it per se, but just keep an eye on it, then, on the other hand, if it switches magically back to when you go to sleep then I would consult a medium. :rolleyes:

Yes, correct on the regs that play, even if they do change names like a chameleon. I myself am a reg eventhough I am still a baby, considering the time put into playing, LOL. At least I will have fun figuring out the new time start....and I will. Bet on it. Thumbs up seth!

traekoth
02-26-2010, 03:16 PM
I also vote for the 'keep the game alive but quirky' option :)

I also have no problem with you moving the reset time to a time when you're awake and/or having the game 'reboot' on a daily basis. My only request on that is that you make an announcement to let everyone know when the new reset time is so that we can plan our strategies accordingly.

Alex
02-26-2010, 04:26 PM
I also vote for keeping the game alive and well!
Seth, could you do one thing though? could you change the lengh of the game once in a while? I mean.. only if it's just the same to you. It would be fun to have a game that goes on only for 20 days, or 40 days, or 10 days.. you get the point right?

Hello, Hawk! nice to see you in here :sweatdrop:

Hawk
02-27-2010, 05:02 PM
I also vote for keeping the game alive and well!
Seth, could you do one thing though? could you change the lengh of the game once in a while? I mean.. only if it's just the same to you. It would be fun to have a game that goes on only for 20 days, or 40 days, or 10 days.. you get the point right?

Hello, Hawk! nice to see you in here :sweatdrop:

Well, well, hello, Alex, nice to see you hanging out! LOL :)

Of course I am here, I am probably Seth's biggest fan, since I discovered him, thanks to a friend of mine. LOL

I don't know about the length thing, though. It would probably be interesting to say the least. I don't think the 20 day one would go over very well, but then it may give variety, ya know? Long as it don't go over the 40 day one. That would be a bit much, but fairly well balanced. I am playing a 75 one and it just sucks big time, way too long for me. But I am determined and right on the tail of the leader, hehehe. I learn fast. :whistling:

mckinney
02-28-2010, 05:52 PM
Seth, what are you going to do? Please inform us all. Thanks.

neomio
02-28-2010, 06:04 PM
I also vote to keep thee game. I find it very restful, as well as challenging. I am grateful that Seth spends as much time as he does for us for free.

mckinney
02-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Indeed. I can agree with that 200%. Seth gives a lot to us. Seth, how can we ever repay you for your kindness?

Hawk
03-01-2010, 12:43 AM
Ok, found my little card and I am getting DUNGEON SCROLL!

YAY! :crazy:

Seth
03-01-2010, 01:22 AM
Ok, I guess I'll got the "leave it up with tweaks" route.

I won't change the 'reset time' right now because that would require some real getting into the guts of it, but I'd be happy to change the tournament length if you guys wanted.

Do you want to try a 40 day?? Something else? Better decide fast.. ;)

Actually, I can change it after the new tournament starts so not a huge rush.

Hawk
03-01-2010, 05:13 AM
I would be agreeable with the 40 day one. That would be just about right. 30 is a bit short and quick and anything over 40 would be really to much. I can deal with that....an extra 10 days. :D

sami
03-01-2010, 05:24 PM
:p 40 sounds perfect! 10 more days of customers and preparing for that last ever loving day will do us all well!

Alex
03-01-2010, 07:51 PM
Alright. 40 is a round, not too long, not to short, straight to the point number :whistling:

so I too am for 40

Hawk
03-01-2010, 10:19 PM
From what I have heard from others on the game, 40 is agreeable as well. I think the 40 would do the trick. :D