PDA

View Full Version : Alignment affects Update()!

speeder
04-11-2010, 01:18 AM
Well... I made some status bars...

I noticed that when the alignment is bottom_right, bottom_left or bottom_center the "Update()" never executes...

I testing making a empty update with LogMsg, and also assigning several scripts that has Update() on them... The "Update" only is executed when I move the object in the editor, otherwise it never happens.

THIS bug is one that I need a fix (because the alignment affects in what direction the bar "grows")

Seth
04-11-2010, 02:55 AM
Can you attach a project showing this problem or tell me an easy way to see it in one of the existing examples?

speeder
04-11-2010, 03:49 AM
To trigger the bug, go to the "gameplay development" map, select any of the two bars, and change their alignment...

After that, they will get "stuck" during the gameplay (you can press "1" or left mouse click to spawn a ball, if the bars are working right they will decrease... And when you get the small falling stuff when bricks break, the blue bar increases a bit, unless it is bugged...)

Seth
04-11-2010, 04:39 AM
Thanks - hmm, when I click new (nice title anim btw) it gives me Error: Can't locate an entity named Player"...

Do you maybe have some script files you changed in /base?

If you make changes there you should copy those into your world folder so they are included in the world and will override the base ones.

To test if it's correct, install a fresh copy of novashell somewhere and copy the world to its world directory and see if it runs.

PS: Nevermind: I followed your directions above and it works... will comment soon

Seth
04-11-2010, 05:03 AM
When playing, I see the blue bar get smaller after creating a ball, but as it hits other blocks, it does not get larger even before I did anything.

If I change the alignment using the editor and go back to the game, (from upper left to left center for instance) it does keep updating and shrinking as I release balls (until gone), so I am not seeing a bug or I am and don't understand ..

Or it's possible my novashell version is better than yours and I need to put up a new build? Maybe I'll do that...

speeder
04-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Oh, the bar does grow, but it is too slow (each block that you get, add 1 point, the bar representes 1000... since it is 700 pixels high, this mean that each thing increase 0,7 pixel... since that is not possible, it take like 3 blocks to see a 2 pixel increase...)

And "center left" work, it only does not work with bottom (it can be left, center or right, but usually I test with bottom right...). Also to make sure, you can set the alignment to bottom, save the map, quit (don't reload) novashell and return, when doing that it never worked for me...

speeder
04-20-2010, 04:44 AM
Sorry for the bump... already bumping...

But I am not finding myself a solution for that...

Seth
04-20-2010, 10:52 PM
Well, I was unable to find any problem with Update() not executing with specific orientations. I suspect there is more to it than that.

Maybe if you can more clearly state the bug and make a simpler example showing it?

Or.. maybe just just leave it at "up left" and handle all positioning/scaling manually for your bars as a work around, you can still get any effect you're looking for most likely.