PDA

View Full Version : Tracker music support

branleur
04-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Hey Seth, how about tracker support (MOD, XM, S3M etc.) music file support in Novashell? Clanlib apparently requires MikMod anyway.

Seth
04-21-2010, 01:30 PM
Well, I've decided to not add it myself for the following reasons:

1. Getting the mikmod clanlib module compiling on all three platforms is probably a hassle
2. Novashell supports the FMOD sound system in addition to ClanSound, which does already have midi/mod/xm support (if your software isn't free, yeah you would have to buy an FMOD license to use it though)
3. ClanSound (and FMOD) support .ogg - in today's day and age it's probably ok to convert your mod/xms to .ogg and filesize be damned

That all said, it's surely possible if anyone feels like screwing with it...

speeder
06-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Why MikMod is hard to compile on all platforms?

branleur
07-11-2010, 08:59 AM
Thanks Seth, I may have a look into it.

speeder
07-11-2010, 01:42 PM
I am planning in implementing DUMB.

Not because MikMod is hard to compile, but because MikMod render files incorrectly (if you search the modarchive forums you will find information about that).

You can test by hearing module files in Winamp with the default module plug-in (that is MikMod), some .IT files in particular play so bad that is not even funny (a example is the music from the expansion "Secret Files" for the game Jazz Jackrabbit 2, some files make bizarre sounds, or get heavy skipping and stuttering)