PDA

View Full Version : Help using retail auto package

TSO
05-09-2010, 04:13 PM
I followed the guides provided here:
http://www.rtsoft.com/novashell/docs/

Very usefull and made my own mini version of DragonEggs.

Trouble is I tried to use the auto packer to make a stand alone retail version that shouldn't have editor access. (Windows)

I get the zip file move it to another computer (windows vista) without novashell and try to edit the game (which I shouldn't be able to if it's packed for retail correct?) and then proceed to open the editor.... wreak the game. Didn't have access to original .lua but the effect was the same... I could trash the level.

The package system is so simple I don't know how I could screw it up.
~I added -retail to command line after the retail check box seemed to have no effect.
~I tried adding -retail to the game.exe it self.
~Looked through forum for anyone else with a similar issue and most information looks out dated.

So if I could once again get the assistance from someone experienced in the editor for the final game design step that would be great.

Tried the given version at the end of this page:
http://www.rtsoft.com/novashell/docs/getting_started_part6.html

I get this error saying "Unable to locate words/settings\administrator\desktop\DragonEggs.novashel l"

I'm pretty new but like how simple the editor is for throwing ideas together.
Look forward to a reply. =)

Seth
05-10-2010, 01:21 AM
Hey,

Tried the given version at the end of this page:
http://www.rtsoft.com/novashell/docs...ted_part6.html

I get this error saying "Unable to locate words/settings\administrator\desktop\DragonEggs.novashel l"

I went and downloaded the file, unzipped to c:\downloads\temp, double clicked the .novashell file and it loaded fine. (vista64) Not sure why that doesn't work for ya.

I get the zip file move it to another computer (windows vista) without novashell and try to edit the game (which I shouldn't be able to if it's packed for retail correct?) and then proceed to open the editor.... wreak the game. Didn't have access to original .lua but the effect was the same... I could trash the level.

I then chose the Package & Distribute option (using the downloaded Dragon Eggs files from above) , while the 'retail' checkbox was on.

Grabbed the windows zip it made, unzipped to a temp directory and ran the exe, it ran ok and the editor did not open when f1 was hit.

So it seems fine on this side.. hrm, not sure where the problem lies.

Did you set g_debug = true or something in one of the script files? This would overwrite the -retail parm. Maybe try it with the Dragon Eggs files above and see if that packages right?

TSO
05-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Just realized my mistake with the given tutorial download. I treated it as another download and put all the files on my desktop rather then in the worlds directory.

Put my DragonEggs folder and novashell in a temp folder and drag and dropped new ones into worlds.
I will try the given map again for packaging...

Double click novashell...
console errors:

[debug] Unable to find all symbols in dbghelp.dll. Crash reporter disabled.
Command line parms received:
DragonEggs.novashell
D:\Program
Files\Novashell\worlds\DragonEggs.novashell
Unable to locate worlds /Files\Novashell\wprlds\DragonEggs.novashell. World is missing perhaps?

Nope same opening error. odd.

EDIT: Wait Dragon Eggs is listed in menu among other games and using that I managed to open the map fine.

I will try to package again. Odd bug but not what I'm here for atm.

EDIT2: Alright retrail checked. Stand alone windows checked and unchecked the rest.
Click package.
CTD with "Error!: Could not create file"

BTW using Windows 2k professional I think.
Testing computer is Vista64 I think.

Seth
05-10-2010, 10:12 PM
You shouldn't need to put the files in your worlds directory - it should run from anywhere, but the structure must be like this:

WorldNameDir (the main world directory)
ModNameDir.novashell (this is the part you double click)

Both Mac and Win installs register the ".novashell" filetype so a double click should load it up in Novashell and have it "just work".

>>/Files\Novashell\wprlds\DragonEggs.novashell.

Uh, I assume "wprlds" is a typo? :) Note, you can do Ctrl-C to copy from the console window.

Could this be a problem with file permissions? Vista/Win7 will not let you create a file without admin access if the directory permissions are wrong. The installer tries to mark the whole Novashell tree as user writable, but if that didn't happen, you'd get weird errors maybe. Unsure, maybe try right clicking the novashell.exe file and running it in admin mode.

TSO
05-11-2010, 12:26 AM
[debug] Unable to find all symbols in dbghlp.dll. Crash reporter disabled.
Original screensize detected as 1024.00 X 768.00
Command line parms received:
DragonEggs.novashell
D:\Program
Files\Novashell\worlds\DragonEggs.novashell
Unable to locate worlds/Files\Novashell\worlds\DragonEggs.novashell. World is missing perhaps?

Initializing GameLogic...
Clanlib Sound System Initialized
Novashell V0.81 and Lua 5.13 RT Edition Initted.
No mod has overidden script/game_start.lua. Running default, which let's the player choose a world.
Loaded map hidden_Base Startup at tick 0. 2 non-empty chunks, size is 1 by 1.

Haha, yeah I tried to type out the errors.
I kept trying to highlight the console rather then copy it all thx.

I package with the computer on windows 2000 if that's what your asking about file creation. I then take the created files and move them over network to my other computer running vista in the hopes to not have access to the editor and test if the retail packaging worked.

I am the only admin on this computer and the only admin I haven't used on the computer with vista is the hidden admin. otherwise all users are admin access on vista.

Your given map only opens from the example list given at the start of novashell.
I can't seem to package it. Unless it's already packaged and I'm just being dumb, but it looks exactly like my files.
Odd now same error shows for my version of dragon eggs.

Just to note I click the DragonEggs.novashell
Get the console with the error above. Close console, then click the listed option of dragon eggs. I can provide some screen shots if needed.

If it helps here is a copy of my files:
http://apps.facebook.com/files/shared/jlbxzg5xdh

Seth
05-11-2010, 01:05 AM
Hmm. Ok, I see what's happening.

It is related to being on Win2000 it looks like.

When you double click the .novashell, it runs this:

D:\Program Files\Novashell\game.exe D:\Program Files\Novashell\worlds\DragonEggs.novashell

See the space between "Program Files"?

It should be:

D:\Program Files\Novashell\game.exe "D:\Program Files\Novashell\worlds\DragonEggs.novashell"

The quotes would fix it I believe.

Unfortunately I don't have 2000 around to test anymore (it is, what, 10 years old?) - but I think you probably wouldn't have this problem if you build on XP or Vista.

Putting the files in the official Worlds directory, then running game.exe with no parms, and selecting the world from the world select menu "should" get around the problem, I think that's why it worked before, as in that case it uses relative paths.

Another solution might be to uninstall novashell, then reinstall it to: C:\novashell

so there are no spaces in the path.

TSO
05-11-2010, 03:34 AM
Ah. Thank you. I'm becoming increasingly aware 2000 is going out of date and support for many things. :sweatdrop:

Could I perhaps build it in windows 2000.
Then move the world and shell files to a copy of novashell on vista then package it from there?

Otherwise I'll try switching it to C:\novashell