PDA

View Full Version : This game was never finished as originally planned, right?

random
06-06-2010, 12:05 AM
Every new quest or area seems more rushed than the last. The environment become less and less interactable, especially the description of using objects, we see the sprites for the first village being reused over and over again and the item screen is clearly made to contain several additional magic spells and items.

To me it just seems that the game was originally set up to of the huge adventure type, but as development continued not enough effort was put in so to finish the game it became very rushed.

Seth
06-10-2010, 11:41 AM
I should do a post-mortem about Dink someday.

Yeah, we were burned out. Behind schedule. We were a bit naive.

We were living under the burden of impatient gamers who'd pre-ordered asking (rightly) why we missed our deadline.

I powered through the last 1/4 of the game in three days flat and brought it to a finish-able state only through sheer force of will.

I started to feel strange. Reality began to get fuzzy, walking around in a coding daze. I remember dropping a bottle near the fridge, it smashing, and just stepping around it, I didn't care... I'd reached that fabled state of crunch-numb.

Finishing an RPG is hard. Damn hard. :prophet:

Mister Brooks
06-10-2010, 07:37 PM
Emphasis on post-mortem ;)

Somebody must have put a spell on you. I haven't played Dink before, but mind my asking whether there was voodoo involved?

branleur
06-14-2010, 01:14 PM
And don't forget that large land mass that was supposed to become PortTown. That's probably the most obvious one.

What was the final boss supposed to look like? From what I have read, you were only included there because everyone had run out of time.

symian
08-26-2010, 11:49 AM
Finishing an RPG is hard. Damn hard. :prophet:

Finishing anything new and original is hard. :)

It's funny, but all of the complaints aside, all of the "could have been written better" and "programmed better" 20-20 comments taken into consideration, how many games can you count on one hand are still around so many years later? Very few. When I read on some website, in some forum, "I could have done it better" my finger, umm, fingers, begin to itch because I want to reply with "Yes, maybe, but you didn't."

I've been a fan and supporter of you and RTSoft for what I have to assume is over 16 years. I used Lord and Lord II on my BBS (I still have my Lord reg codes) and personally enjoyed it so much that even years after I closed down the BBS I booted it up from time to time just so I could play those games. Dink is also one of my favorite games. I still play it to this very day.

I may be a day late and a dollar short but now that I finally have the free time (jobless) to do it I've been working on my own Dmod. It's been fun and interesting, and more than a little annoying, but it is coming along nicely. I do, however, constantly have to remind myself not to get caught up in the details. ;)

Keep up the great work, Seth A. I am always pleased to see you come up with something new and original and timeless.

Regards,

Symian