PDA

View Full Version : Texture Compression

BigBMan
08-31-2011, 12:44 AM
It doesn't seem like your renderer allows uncompressed textures. For the sake of prototyping without a PC, is there a way to use standard PNGs?

Also, curious what your thoughts are on xcode's texturetool (http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/3DDrawing/Conceptual/OpenGLES_ProgrammingGuide/TextureTool/TextureTool.html).

I've found it a pain to go between OSX and Windows when developing art concepts. Would be nice to have a mac-only option. Sorry, I love my MacBook Air ;o)

Seth
08-31-2011, 03:25 AM
It doesn't seem like your renderer allows uncompressed textures. For the sake of prototyping without a PC, is there a way to use standard PNGs?

Also, curious what your thoughts are on xcode's texturetool (http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/3DDrawing/Conceptual/OpenGLES_ProgrammingGuide/TextureTool/TextureTool.html).

Hmm, someone else mentioned this same thing today! (Hey Anthony)

I've found it a pain to go between OSX and Windows when developing art concepts. Would be nice to have a mac-only option. Sorry, I love my MacBook Air ;o)

Proton's Surface.cpp only supports loading BMP's and ".rttex" (Packer utility makes .rttex from jpg, png, etc) right now. Maybe I should add .png.. I actually already include the files in the shared dir, but they are only used for Irrlicht.

For now, you COULD use .bmp. The Surface class can read 32 bit images, so there should be no functional difference from a .png, other than outrageous sizes. (Same size in mem after loading though.)

About Apple's pvr converter - well, my Packer utility does a lot more than just make pvrs, it also pads non-power of 2 textures and stores the original sizes, which Surface and SurfaceAnim use to transparently let you use them without knowing they were resized to work within GLES limitations.

PS: The full source code of Packer is on the svn, hoping someone will make an OSX port at some point... but it's a bit tricky to compile because it requires ClanLib 1 (a free lib) which is pretty big though.