PDA

View Full Version : Visual studio wiki setup updated



WoutervD
03-02-2012, 11:21 AM
Hi I bumped into a problem on the wiki page of the visual studio setup. The game was output into a configuration specific folder by default (in VS2010 that is) so it couldn't find the assets when executed. So instead of changing the working directory in the debugging settings. Changing the output directory instead, solves this issue. http://www.rtsoft.com/wiki/doku.php?id=proton:win_setup

Also I think this is a project setting and not user specific so you can eliminate this step by updating the project files on the repository. I cant update the VS2008 files cause I have VS2010.

Regards,

Wouter

Seth
03-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Hi I bumped into a problem on the wiki page of the visual studio setup. The game was output into a configuration specific folder by default (in VS2010 that is) so it couldn't find the assets when executed. So instead of changing the working directory in the debugging settings. Changing the output directory instead, solves this issue. http://www.rtsoft.com/wiki/doku.php?id=proton:win_setup

Also I think this is a project setting and not user specific so you can eliminate this step by updating the project files on the repository. I cant update the VS2008 files cause I have VS2010.

Regards,

Wouter

First, thanks for caring enough to register and update the wiki, greatly appreciated!

This might only be a problem with VS2008 and VS2010, my project files are VS 2005 and the Configuration->Linker->Output File should already be set to ../bin/app.exe - and there is code in main.cpp that changes directly to the .exe dir automatically so the working dir doesn't need to be set.

I think this is (one of) the part(s) that is broken when updating the project to 2008 and 2010, so we may want to put "this is for 2010 users"?

I guess I'm the last guy on earth to use VS 2005. :wheelchair:

WoutervD
03-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Ah my bad. Didn't know. I am currently working a similar project of my own and use premake to generate the project files. Its wonderful and quite simple. Might share it, whenever it's ready.
Actually I still used VS2003 last year, kinda forced upon me by my job though :)

adi
03-20-2012, 01:59 PM
Hello,
So I am not able to get the looney ladders upgraded properly to vs 2010 and run it. I get the following warning and hence will not build correctly. I can see this warning during upgradation itself. Well i tried for a bit to get the settings from RT3dapp but still dint work for me. Looking forward for help


Warning 2 warning MSB8012: TargetPath(D:\proton\RTLooneyLadders\windows\..\bi n\winRTLooneyLadders.exe) does not match the Linker's OutputFile property value (D:\proton\RTLooneyLadders\bin\RTLooneyLadders.exe ). This may cause your project to build incorrectly. To correct this, please make sure that $(OutDir), $(TargetName) and $(TargetExt) property values match the value specified in %(Link.OutputFile). C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppBuil d.targets 990

Seth
03-20-2012, 11:57 PM
Ok, going to try it now and document what I did to make it work:

Method 1:

1. I opened RTLooneyLadders.sln with MSVC 10. It looks like it overwrote my old one, so I close everything, renamed RTLooneyLadders.sln to RTLooneyLadders2010.sln and put back my old one
2. Re opened RTLooneyLadders2010.sln in msvc10
3. Tried to build Debug GL - got error: warning MSB8012: TargetPath(D:\projects\proton\RTLooneyLadders\wind ows\Debug GL\winRTLooneyLadders.exe) does not match the Linker's OutputFile property value.. same error as you I think
4. Changed Properties->General->Output Directory to "..\bin" and rebuilt. Same error.. wait, it's not an error, it's a warning. If I go to the real dir, (../bin in RTLooneyLadders) I see the .exe WAS built correctly and I can run it. So I just need to get it to look in the right place when the debugger is run.
5. Changed Properties->Debugging->Command from "$(TargetPath)" to "../bin/RTLooneyLadders.exe"

Ok, that worked. From some reason, I guess because the project name is "winRTLooneyLadders" it was tried to run winRTLooneyLadders.exe, instead of RTLooneyLadders.exe. So.. hold on..

Method 2: (the better way I guess)

1. In the solution explorer, I renamed the project from winRTLooneyLadders to RTLooneyLadders.
2. Changed back Properties->Debugging->Command to "$(TargetPath)"

Ok, that works better, no warnings and don't have to specify the .exe filename again. I'll rename the 2005 project in svn, so so future people updating to msvc10 won't have this problem.

adi
03-21-2012, 06:05 AM
So thanks seth, I have RTBareBones, RTSimpleApp ,RT3dApp and RTLooneyLadders all working on visual studio 2010 for windows. I will be trying compilation on android phone next, hoping most gotchas are encountered and solved :).