PDA

View Full Version : Immediate testing on iOS?

ioflowstudios
03-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Hey Everyone,

First post, so hello :)

I'm interested in developing for iOS, I already have my developers license and I've already been messing around with UDK. My favourite thing about UDK working with iOS is that I can build a test level in UDK (on my PC) and copy it directly to my iPad straight away to see how it works on the iPad.

Can you do this with Proton SDK? Or do you have to submit your app to the app store and wait 10 days every time you want to test it?

Seth
03-06-2012, 11:38 AM
I'm not familier with using UDK on iOS, but with Proton, it's pretty much the same as normal development with xCode, except you only have to write standard C++ stuff if you want, and not mess with the iOS specific junk.

Because you have a dev license, xCode will automatically setup any device you plug in as a "developer device" and let you run your stuff on it instantly and as much as you want so no problem there.

ioflowstudios
03-06-2012, 11:48 AM
ok, that sounds good... unfortunately I don't have a mac :(

don't suppose xcode runs on an iPad? ;)

Seth
03-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Ah, I see.

I'll bet UDK can just copy over an existing binary engine build into a dir with your data and create the .ipa to install on the iPad, (I did another engine like this, Novashell, where you could build Mac builds from Windows and vice-versa) whereas with a framework like Proton you really have to recompile each time leaving you out in the cold.. (can do iPad emulation in Win but.. not the same thing.. ) :sweatdrop:

But with UDK don't you still need a Mac for the final submission or have they worked a way around that?

ioflowstudios
03-06-2012, 12:21 PM
You still need a mac for submission to the store.
I have wondered how on earth Epic talked Apple into letting them do builds from windows...

osgoz
03-07-2012, 07:32 AM
Hi.

I was in the same situation than you 3 years ago.
My solution was assembly a cheap "Hackintosh" under 250€ with Leopard, and produce my first iOS application.
This give enough money to buy a cheap second handed mac mini. The same mac mini from I am writing right now :).
Ah, and the "Hackintosh", well I am using it like test machine for new systems and development platforms, so the money was no spent.

I have wondered how on earth Epic talked Apple into letting them do builds from windows...

I suppose because Apple needs a major brand in games with the launch of iPad, so Epic contact Apple to port their Unreal Engine and Apple saw the opportunity.

Regards.