PDA

View Full Version : Cosmichamber - a small-scale God Game

Lenz
03-13-2014, 02:25 AM
First off, don't mistake me as a forum spammer because I already made another thread with this exact title. But if you've gone to it, you'll notice it's completely broken; the textbox is nonexistent, and if you try and reply, it gives you a big flashy error. I've contacted our resident genius, Seth, so hopefully it'll soon be sorted!

http://i.imgur.com/BNmqzZJ.png

For those of you unfamiliar with the phrase, a game jam is when a developer of group of developers attempt to make a game in a limited amount of time. I had a personal game jam recently, in which I gave myself eight hours and all the resources I needed to develop something.

The result was Cosmichamber. Cosmichamber is a physics sandbox god game in which you play the role of some faceless, nameless celestial being capable of creating massive stars and planets at will. You create a solar system in which species of all kinds can thrive and live in peace, keeping in mind the forces of gravity and planetary velocity to make it the safest system possible, free of danger. But alas, not all gods wish to allow prosperity. You can be merciless, demanding sacrifice and smashing one planet into the other without concern or reason. What you choose to do with your power is up to no one but you.

The game features two unique game modes; Saga and Sandbox.

In Saga, you act as forementioned. You can either attempt to build the perfect safe haven for life of all kinds, carefully calculating orbital paths and sun locations, or turn space into a hellish, cosmic nightmare, where rogue planets zip past at incredible speeds and no one is safe from their collisions.

While in Sandbox mode, you have no specified goal. Mess about with physics and try new ideas, or get bored and just start blowing things up. There is no penalty for anything you do or don't do, but then again, who could appose a god?

Please remember though; I gave myself eight hours to do this. If you're expecting some mindblowing new 3D simulator worthy of being sold on Steam for 10+ USD, look elsewhere. It's a simple little game that's fun to mess around with for a bit. And, since I know this question will come up at some point - yes, I programmed it in Game Maker, though I used a lot of external programs for sound design, graphics, ect.

If you're interested, get the game here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/k5scy2f8cm5nfhq/Cosmichamber_v1.0.rar). Don't forget to look over the readme! Also, feel free to post any screenshots of your accomplishments. Think you found the perfect solar system setup? Awesome. Have you created so many planets you've dropped to 1 FPS and just need to show everyone your destructive capability? Feel free. I'd be interested in seeing what you guys are able to do with the game.

Dinosaur
03-13-2014, 02:27 AM
First off, don't mistake me as a forum spammer because I already made another thread with this exact title. But if you've gone to it, you'll notice it's completely broken; the textbox is nonexistent, and if you try and reply, it gives you a big flashy error. I've contacted our resident genius, Seth, so hopefully it'll soon be sorted!

For those of you unfamiliar with the phrase, a game jam is when a developer of group of developers attempt to make a game in a limited amount of time. I had a personal game jam recently, in which I gave myself eight hours and all the resources I needed to develop something.

The result was Cosmichamber. Cosmichamber is a physics sandbox god game game in which you place the role of some faceless, nameless celestial being capable of creating massive stars and planets at will. You create a solar system in which species of all kinds can thrive and live in peace, keeping in mind the forces of gravity and planetary velocity to make it the safest system possible, free of danger. But alas, not all gods wish to allow prosperity. You can be merciless, demanding sacrifice and smashing one planet into the other without concern or reason. What you choose to do with your power is up to no one but you.

In Saga, you act as forementioned. You can either attempt to build the perfect safe haven for life of all kinds, carefully calculating orbital paths and sun locations, or turn space into a hellish, cosmic nightmare, where rogue planets zip past at incredible speeds and no one is safe from their collisions.

While in Sandbox mode, you have no specified goal. Mess about with physics and try new ideas, or get bored and just start blowing things up. There is no penalty for anything you do or don't do, but then again, who could appose a god?

Please remember though; I gave myself eight hours to do this. If you're expecting some mindblowing new 3D simulator worthy of being sold on Steam for 10+ USD, look elsewhere. It's a simple little game that's fun to mess around with for a bit. And, since I know this question will come up at some point - yes, I programmed it in Game Maker, though I used a lot of external programs for sound design, graphics, ect.

If you interested, get the game here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/k5scy2f8cm5nfhq/Cosmichamber_v1.0.rar). Don't forget to look over the readme!

Sounds like a cool game..........Is it ever going to be on IOS? Or is it only on PC?

Brennanber
03-13-2014, 02:28 AM
Fun game! :)

GBAGamer
03-13-2014, 02:29 AM
Does it work with Mac?

Lenz
03-13-2014, 02:29 AM
Sounds like a cool game..........Is it ever going to be on IOS? Or is it only on PC?

So far, I have no plans to port it to IOS or any other platforms. Only people using OS's capable of running .exe's will be able to play it.

Does it work with Mac?

No, sadly. I don't have the Mac port for GM.

GBAGamer
03-13-2014, 02:31 AM
So far, I have no plans to port it to IOS or any other platforms. Only people operating on windows will be able to play it (the file is a .exe).

No, sadly. I don't have the Mac port for GM.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! !!!!!!!!111

"crys' I HATE THIS FRIGGIN MAC! "throws out the window"

Anulot
03-13-2014, 02:33 AM

The result was Cosmichamber. Cosmichamber is a physics sandbox god game game in which you play the role of some faceless, nameless celestial being capable of creating massive stars and planets at will. You create a solar system in which species of all kinds can thrive and live in peace, keeping in mind the forces of gravity and planetary velocity to make it the safest system possible, free of danger. But alas, not all gods wish to allow prosperity. You can be merciless, demanding sacrifice and smashing one planet into the other without concern or reason. What you choose to do with your power is up to no one but you.

If you interested, get the game here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/k5scy2f8cm5nfhq/Cosmichamber_v1.0.rar). Don't forget to look over the readme!

I was wondering what that crazy looking thread was...

Brennanber
03-13-2014, 02:33 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! !!!!!!!!111

"crys' I HATE THIS FRIGGIN MAC! "throws out the window"

Well there goes your windows. Hehe puns

Lenz
03-13-2014, 02:34 AM
Well there goes your windows.

Bad, bad pun.

Brennanber
03-13-2014, 02:38 AM
Bad, bad pun.

It amazin pun lenz!!!1 get at? Becuz the robot haz no arms and is buzy building a bouncink travyoris

GBAGamer
03-13-2014, 02:38 AM
I feel left out :( everybody else is enjoying the game but me?.."sniff" I'm just left behind with this dumb Mac.. :(

DeathSkull
03-13-2014, 02:58 AM
I feel left out :( everybody else is enjoying the game but me?.."sniff" I'm just left behind with this dumb Mac.. :(

Same here gba...

Lenz
03-13-2014, 03:21 PM
For those of you using Mac, you could try using Boot Camp. It would basically allow you to run both OS X and Windows at the same time, thus getting the benefits and abilities of both systems. The Apple support page on it says it's easy to set up, though it looks like it involves a lot of backing up in case something goes wrong, so I honestly don't think it's worth it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1461