PDA

View Full Version : reporting old emails as new

Akolade
10-18-2002, 05:13 PM
I am using the Check Email function.
I have my email at work setup to leave the messages on the server, so that I can also receive them all at home (where they are removed from the server).

When I activated the Check Email, it found my 3 emails on the server, and reported them.
Then, each time it would check, the log would show that there were 3 emails, but they were already reported.

Then, I got a fourth email, which it reported properly.

Then, I received a fifth email, which it reported again.
After this fifth email, the next time it checked, it said it found 5 NEW emails, and reported them all. And it keeps doing it!
I have it checking every minute, it's quite annoying.

Maybe look into this, for those of us who leave mail on the server..

Seth
10-18-2002, 05:37 PM
Yes, it did this to me too twice - I'm going to change the method a bit...

** Edit **

After a little more research it seems that this happens when it isn't able to extract a date from the message, generally it gets a blank subject and date on these and only from spammers, still working on it...

Akolade
10-19-2002, 05:35 PM
It still seems to be doing this, even with Candidate 4.
I had 2 spam mails waiting when I turned my machine on this morning, and they kept being reported.
I looked at their message headers and they seemd to have dates and subjects listed..
Although, one of them didn't have a "To:" field I noticed..

Maybe that has something to do with it?

10-19-2002, 08:58 PM
Is email recieving really needed for this program? I think a program like netscape mail or something would be better.

I do remember testing out the suggestion feature and I said that pager support would be cool that is when a website is updated, a message would be sent to your pager (with email support) so that you could hop onto the nearest computer and check it out.

Anyway, whatever is cool. I'll go check out the feature and see what this error might be.

- cneal

Seth
10-19-2002, 09:42 PM
The pop3 checking is not really needed, it isn't meant to replace your real email reader, in fact, it doesn't even download the whole email, just the header.

It's so you can be sitting in the next room (or working) and hear:

"Hey, you got 1 new email.  Email 1 is from ILuvTeens concerning Britany spears new X rated video" or whatever the email is.     Outlook is like 25 megs when it is loaded so a lot of people don't want to leave it loaded all the time, but still want the email checked every two minutes.

Also cneal, pager support has been in since release candidate 1, I added it right after you asked for it.  (any Say/Show Message Action can also send an email)

Seth
10-19-2002, 09:45 PM
Accolade - hm.. Mine was ok last night, but it's hard to test because I can't recreate the certain type of message that screws up. If I forward it myself its ok.

The next time I get a badly formed message it will create a copy on the HD that I may be able to use to test with but until that happens I'm kind of stuck unless you know of a sure fire way to get a bad message.

10-19-2002, 11:54 PM
Wouldn't checking the email on the server erase the message on the server? I don't know, I'm still trying to figure out how to use my email.

- cneal

Seth
10-20-2002, 12:41 AM
Nope, the Toolfish email check does not delete or affect the email on the server at all.

Akolade
10-20-2002, 09:59 AM
Well what do you know, when i WANT to get Spam, I hardly get any.

Well, I will see if Toolfish works properly with these spammy mails, and tell you how it goes.

gotenough
11-16-2007, 01:06 AM
:mad:I'd like to get spammed to test my own littel spam filter. I just can't figure out how.
mailto:hwe@enteo.com