PDA

View Full Version : Game server using Proton

Bruno Santos
11-29-2012, 10:46 PM
Hello! I have an online game project and Proton SDK showed itself very powerfull for the client side of the game. However, I guess all the framework's abstractions would become a bad overhead for the server, which must respond to large amount of players. That said, I would know how much of this overhead is reducible by disabling features like video rendering and others. Is it viable? (I wanna keep Entity and Variant abstractions for the server. I guess these aren't heavy cpu demanders)

Thanks!

Seth
11-30-2012, 02:56 AM
Yep, it's very possible, my tank game and new game both use proton based server binaries that are running under linux, that have none of the video and Surface type stuff. They don't even use BaseApp.

The secret is having _CONSOLE defined, and needing to make a few fake functions so it will link. If you can wait a bit (few days?), I can put up an example app (RTConsole) that makes a command line app in win or linux, I have it, but it's not tested in linux yet.

I don't use Entity (don't see why you can't though) but I do use Variant's a lot, I have some neat tricks where I can call functions on the clients entities directly through the network, the variant/virtual function stuff comes in very handy for that.

Bruno Santos
11-30-2012, 10:09 PM
Oh, nice to know! Waiting for the RTConsole example :D

Seth
12-13-2012, 07:50 AM
Oh, nice to know! Waiting for the RTConsole example :D

Hey, just an update, the RTConsole example is now in svn. Read the Project Readme.txt in its main dir for more info.