PDA

View Full Version : Growtopia as an educational tool?

Stellan Kinberg
05-14-2014, 05:30 AM
Hello

I am a teacher in technology, science and math in Sweden. We have a lot of kids in fourth grade who play growtopia. They mostly like to scam, get power tools, explore worlds and some of them try to build small worlds of their own. I have looked around about a week to understand if this can be used as an educational tool.

I have seen several educational possibilities with this game so I am now trying a project with my pupils. The idea is to get agreement on a world and together try to build it up. I have divided a world in 7x7 areas with big locks and will give my kids access to the areas to build up their own part. The world is 100x50 so I have areas for all my 75 kids plus area for organizational (doors to the areas) and instructional use. We have curricula in math and technology who can be worked with here. Among others growtopia may be a great tool for dialog training, collaborative building and math helping them to understand how the real world is built up today.

Is there anyone who have tried something similar?

Zfert
05-14-2014, 10:06 PM

Actually, there was one group of people who tried to do something similar to this. In fact, the school even has an item dedicated to them in the game!

If you ask around, you can probably find the video they made.

Stellan Kinberg
05-15-2014, 01:12 PM
Actually, there was one group of people who tried to do something similar to this. In fact, the school even has an item dedicated to them in the game!

If you ask around, you can probably find the video they made.

Thank you Zfert. I have googled around for school growtopia, video etc but do not find anything. If you get some info about this please share.

I am however moving forward with my kids. We are discussing what kind of world to build, looking at worlds they have built or know about and making drawings. This will take some time. I have several experts and some are now "mods" (kind of, being added by me to locked areas). They help me organize things, setting up a farming zone etc. The kids are enjoying this. And kids who are not big "schoollovers" appreciate this approach. Hoping noone else will create problems in 4242019b. :)

Disaster
05-15-2014, 01:19 PM
Hello

I am a teacher in technology, science and math in Sweden. We have a lot of kids in fourth grade who play growtopia. They mostly like to scam, get power tools, explore worlds and some of them try to build small worlds of their own. I have looked around about a week to understand if this can be used as an educational tool.

I have seen several educational possibilities with this game so I am now trying a project with my pupils. The idea is to get agreement on a world and together try to build it up. I have divided a world in 7x7 areas with big locks and will give my kids access to the areas to build up their own part. The world is 100x50 so I have areas for all my 75 kids plus area for organizational (doors to the areas) and instructional use. We have curricula in math and technology who can be worked with here. Among others growtopia may be a great tool for dialog training, collaborative building and math helping them to understand how the real world is built up today.

It's gr8 you are combining Growtopia with Education! I would have them each build a world up of whatever project you are working on. There was a teacher who had the same idea. Here's my idea if they scam: tell them if they grief a fellow puples world they get a F on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Zfert. I have googled around for school growtopia, video etc but do not find anything. If you get some info about this please share.

I am however moving forward with my kids. We are discussing what kind of world to build, looking at worlds they have built or know about and making drawings. This will take some time. I have several experts and some are now "mods" (kind of, being added by me to locked areas). They help me organize things, setting up a farming zone etc. The kids are enjoying this. And kids who are not big "schoollovers" appreciate this approach. Hoping noone else will create problems in 4242019b. :)

The school is Mid-Pacific Institute

Stellan Kinberg
05-15-2014, 08:00 PM
It's gr8 you are combining Growtopia with Education! I would have them each build a world up of whatever project you are working on. There was a teacher who had the same idea. Here's my idea if they scam: tell them if they grief a fellow puples world they get a F on it.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello Disaster. This is an idea I will suggest to my colleagues in grade 5. The kids are asking their teachers to do something similar. They have seen what their fellows are doing in fourth grade. :) Your solution is simpler and needs less administration and diamonds. The teacher will only have to create a hub world with doors to their worlds.

However, the necessity of good collaboration for success, is much less by doing this way. My kids have to agree about the one world they will build. And this is a great training for the real life world they will face one day. But letting them build up a world of their own doesn't stop them from collaborating, helping each other. They will understand that the more they collaborate helping each other with their worlds, the easier will be the success.

I am thinking about your solution for those kids who wont be inspired by the democratically decided project.

Thank you Disaster for giving the name of the school. I found the video in http://www.rtsoft.com/forums/showthread.php?69332-Mid-Pacific-Institute-Video

Thank you a lot!

RedXDragon
05-16-2014, 04:54 AM
Hello

Is there anyone who have tried something similar?'

That would just be a dream come true for students who plays growtopia xD

Stellan Kinberg
05-16-2014, 07:08 AM

- - - Updated - - -

I found it. Great work they did and very informative video.
I also found the world colosseum that I like a lot.

Thank you disaster.

martinfgr
05-19-2014, 01:14 PM
I found it. Great work they did and very informative video.
I also found the world colosseum that I like a lot.
Thank you disaster.
Can you please share the materials that you found? They can be very helpful in my case.

Anulot
05-31-2014, 03:19 AM
Hello

Actually, the Mid-Pacific institute had an experiment with their game, and they were awarded the Mid Pacific Owl for it. If you are willing to do some digging, their project was actually really interesting.

Also Stellan, would you mind sharing a bit of this with our forum community? This seems like a very interesting project, I would love to take a look around!

To add to your experiment, this game can also double as a social platform for out of school communication. I also noticed you said they like to scam... and well... scamming is very frowned upon in this game, and if one person gets punished on your schools IP, everybody shares that punishment. Just a forewarning :excl:.

I wish my class did this kind of awesome things when I was back in fourth grade. You must be a really cool teacher! :hat:

- - - Updated - - -

Hello Disaster. This is an idea I will suggest to my colleagues in grade 5. The kids are asking their teachers to do something similar. They have seen what their fellows are doing in fourth grade. :) Your solution is simpler and needs less administration and diamonds. The teacher will only have to create a hub world with doors to their worlds.

However, the necessity of good collaboration for success, is much less by doing this way. My kids have to agree about the one world they will build. And this is a great training for the real life world they will face one day. But letting them build up a world of their own doesn't stop them from collaborating, helping each other. They will understand that the more they collaborate helping each other with their worlds, the easier will be the success.

I am thinking about your solution for those kids who wont be inspired by the democratically decided project.

Thank you Disaster for giving the name of the school. I found the video in http://www.rtsoft.com/forums/showthread.php?69332-Mid-Pacific-Institute-Video

Thank you a lot!

Yeah, that's it. If memory serves, the students at the institute built worlds about Chineese culture and such. Maybe you can reform this idea to fit your class's curriculum, i.e. if your class is studying Native Americans, build a world filled with history and culture of the Native Americans, maybe have some of your class artists fill it with pixel-arts.

If you ever need any materials, I will be more than happy to donate some. This sounds VERY interesting.

Also, I just took a peek in 4242019b, from what I saw, it looks great! You guys had a toxic waste event :D

Its Daniel
06-11-2014, 06:40 AM
I wish my school can do this too. :whistling:

Friboy8
06-11-2014, 06:50 AM
Sounds great, maybe we will also get a new update out of this!!

Like the mid-pacific owl :D