PDA

View Full Version : ClanLib 2.3.7 and MinGW on Windows

Veitikka
07-06-2014, 12:56 PM
I'm planning to make a commercial Windows version of my game in the future, and it seems that there are two options available to me, or anybody who has similar plans and wants to use ClanLib:

1. Buy the expensive Visual Studio license, or
2. Build ClanLib and the game with MinGW.

I don't want to buy VS just because of this project, so that's why I need to use MinGW. Surprisingly, there's hardly any information available about how to do this. The only clue is this thread: http://www.rtsoft.com/forums/showthread.php?4641-Patch-for-ClanLib-2-3-4-MinGW

I think that if it was possible to build commercial software without relying on VS it would greatly boost the popularity of this awesome SDK. Now it's good for "hobby" projects only.

I tried to build the v2.3.7 using the instructions in the thread. I'm not sure how I should do it on Windows 7, should I run 'automake'? It didn't generate any .in files, but I got this in the console:

configure.ac: no proper invocation of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE was found.
configure.ac: You should verify that configure.ac invokes AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE,
configure.ac: that aclocal.m4 is present in the top-level directory,
configure.ac: and that aclocal.m4 was recently regenerated (using aclocal).
configure.ac:17: required file `./config.guess' not found
configure.ac:17: `automake --add-missing' can install `config.guess'
configure.ac:17: required file `./config.sub' not found
configure.ac:17: `automake --add-missing' can install `config.sub'
configure.ac:85: required file `./install-sh' not found
configure.ac:85: `automake --add-missing' can install `install-sh'
Documentation/Overview/Makefile.am:3: wildcard $(srcdir: non-POSIX variable name
Documentation/Overview/Makefile.am:3: (probably a GNU make extension)
Documentation/Overview/Makefile.am:4: patsubst %.xml,%.html, $(notdir $(XML_FILES: non-POSIX variable name
Documentation/Overview/Makefile.am:4: (probably a GNU make extension)
Documentation/Overview/Makefile.am:11: `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU make extension
Documentation/Reference/Makefile.am:1: wildcart images/*.png: non-POSIX variable name
Documentation/Reference/Makefile.am:1: (probably a GNU make extension)
Setup/pkgconfig/Makefile.am:2: subst .pc,-$(LT_RELEASE: non-POSIX variable name
Setup/pkgconfig/Makefile.am:2: (probably a GNU make extension)
Setup/pkgconfig/Makefile.am:5: `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU make extension
Sources/App/Makefile.am:3: WIN32 does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
Sources/App/Makefile.am:1: Libtool library used but `LIBTOOL' is undefined
Sources/App/Makefile.am:1: The usual way to define `LIBTOOL' is to add `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL'
Sources/App/Makefile.am:1: to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal' and `autoconf' again.
Sources/App/Makefile.am:1: If `AC_PROG_LIBTOOL' is in `configure.ac', make sure
Sources/App/Makefile.am:1: its definition is in aclocal's search path.
Sources/App/Makefile.am: object `libclan23App_la-clanapp.lo' created by `Win32/clanapp.cpp' and `Unix/clanapp.cpp'
Sources/App/Makefile.am: required file `./depcomp' not found
Sources/App/Makefile.am: `automake --add-missing' can install `depcomp'
/mingw/share/automake-1.11/am/depend2.am: am__fastdepCXX does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
/mingw/share/automake-1.11/am/depend2.am: The usual way to define `am__fastdep
CXX' is to add `AC_PROG_CXX'
/mingw/share/automake-1.11/am/depend2.am: to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal' and `autoconf' again.
/mingw/share/automake-1.11/am/depend2.am: AMDEP does not appear in AM_CONDITIONAL
/mingw/share/automake-1.11/am/depend2.am: The usual way to define `AMDEP' is to add one of the compiler tests
/mingw/share/automake-1.11/am/depend2.am: AC_PROG_CC, AC_PROG_CXX, AC_PROG_CXX, AC_PROG_OBJC,
/mingw/share/automake-1.11/am/depend2.am: AM_PROG_AS, AM_PROG_GCJ, AM_PROG_UPC
/mingw/share/automake-1.11/am/depend2.am: to `configure.ac' and run `aclocal' and `autoconf' again.
Makefile.am: required file `./INSTALL' not found
Makefile.am: `automake --add-missing' can install `INSTALL'
Makefile.am: required file `./NEWS' not found
Makefile.am: required file `./AUTHORS' not found
Makefile.am: required file `./ChangeLog' not found

rombust
07-06-2014, 10:11 PM
The 3rd option is to use Visual Studio 2013 express

Commercial use of Visual Studio Express

Visual Studio Express products are available at no charge and may be used for commercial, production usage subject to the license terms provided with each product. For example, you can use Express for Windows to create apps that you can then submit for sale in the Windows Store. Ref: http://www.visualstudio.com/products/visual-studio-express-vs

Veitikka
07-11-2014, 01:02 PM
The 3rd option is to use Visual Studio 2013 express

Ref: http://www.visualstudio.com/products/visual-studio-express-vs

Wow, this changes everything. It seems that 2010 and 2008 can be used in commercial projects as well. I wonder when they changed the license, I remember that it was different back in the day.

rombust
07-11-2014, 06:00 PM
I remember the same. Maybe it just was a common misconception.

Looking at a msdn blog from 2007 - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/danielfe/archive/2007/05/31/visual-studio-express-and-testdriven-net.aspx

The reason we’re able to offer Express for free and even let developers build commercial applications with Express....