PDA

View Full Version : Windows Phone 7.5 and 8

AxeD
03-04-2013, 11:35 AM
Hi Seth,
can You tell me, which classes should be touched while porting to OGL ES 2.0 and WP excluding platform specific files. I just want to make RTSimpleApp port (irricht is not needed).

Seth
03-05-2013, 02:06 AM
Well.. there really isn't a simple answer, Surface.cpp does most of the GL stuff, but there are GL commands sprinkled everywhere that won't work, so it because more of a question of architecture and design to design a system that can smoothly run either one.

For instance, it's possible to write a GLES2 shader based GL 1.X emulator (essentially, that's what I did for the Flash target) and then you don't have to change any code at all, but it doesn't give Proton access to to new shader tech.

So a better way would be to redesign things from the ground up so the new tech can do some amazing new things while still (more or less) keeping compatibility with the existing GUI classes.. but this is nontrivial.

shyamvenky
03-15-2013, 07:00 PM
First of all, my sincere thanks to Seth all other contributors to the forum as well as the SDK.
This is exactly what I was searching for all along. I have worked with irrLicht previously (4-5 years ago) and with the mobile gaming environment becoming very popular, was just waiting for a port of the renderer :)

I was looking primarily at open source game engines - the GamePlay engine by Blackberry was the one that I saw first - but I had enough of a hard time bringing in 3d assets into the game! IrrLicht is soooooo convenient - you can throw a variety of formats and it'll gobble it up neatly :) I got to setting up the tools and playing with 3d models in just 2-3 hours.

Whilst I would have expected a lil bit more friendly documentation as opposed to digging through the code, the time spent taught me a lot. I was just wondering if there would be a port of the SDK to windows phone 7.5 or 8. Is this work-in-progress or would this never happen?

Thanks
Shyam

Zaxuhe
03-16-2013, 11:18 PM
I'm not sure how much work it would take to actually port it, but implementing something like this wouldn't help? its similar to what you did with the flash target I guess https://gl2dx.codeplex.com/ as taken from the GL2DX project description:

GL2DX is a wrapper library that allows you to build your OpenGL app for WinRT. It implements a small subset of the OpenGL API by re-routing them to their DirectX equivalents. This allows you to re-use your existing drawing code on WinRT without having to replace it with DirectX. This project uses the MIT license, which is a very permissive license, so feel free to use it and extend it and include it in your commercial products.

BTW: this is DX11 as noted on http://andrewgarrison.com/blog/porting-an-ios-app-to-windows-8/

Seth
03-17-2013, 11:51 PM
I haven't really been able to take a close look at WinRT yet, (need to get a device someday!) but yeah, like Zaxuhe mentioned, a GLES emulation layer would probably be the easiest way forward.

AxeD
03-31-2013, 07:04 PM
Hi,
Seth all You need is Win 8 PRO with Visual C++ 2012 Express. Emulator is very good. I know developers who made whole gome without a single device ;)

Best
AxeD