Thread: Anyone using Microsoft Visual Studio Express with Clanlib?

Default Anyone using Microsoft Visual Studio Express with Clanlib?

Other than having to manually set the additional dependencies:
    user32.lib
    Advapi32.lib
    gdi32.lib
    ole32.lib

Are there any other things that clanlibbers should be wary of?

I don't think so.. been using ClanLib with it for some time now and never had any issues at all. Getting it to work with mingw32 is a pain (I never managed to do it, actually), but that's a different story.

No, I've found Visual Studio Express to actually work quite well. However I've had issues with optimize "whole" code, which I don't think is a Clanlib issue more then a dependant library issue...

ClanLib Developer

I do not use Visual Studio Express myself, but if it applies to all versions that you need to specify these additional Win32 libraries, then someone could make a patch in core.h, display.h, etc., which adds additional #pragma linker hints. Having these extra libs explicitly mentioned shouldn't cause any problems for the normal versions of Visual Studio.

Default Visual Studio Express

Is there any place that has clear Visual Studio Express instructions?
    Seems like its far from working out of the box the Visual Studio express.

--Matt

Lesser Knight

I remember adding something about it to the Win32 readme, but I'm not sure if its still there...

Hmm, I just checked, and I don't see anything specific about it. Either it was removed, or I never submitted the patch.

But, other than adding the mentioned dependencies, I think it works out of the box. At least, it works great for me

BTW, I like that the web site is back up

Default VC Error Message

Okay, So I'm making progress. I got all but one of the libraries to compile under visual studio express c++. I can now get some of the examples to compile as well.
    What I'll do is write up an install procedure in a later post.
    However I still have a problem with the GUI library:

Here is the error message below:

1>------ Build started: Project: clanGUI, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
    1>Compiling...
    1>precomp.cpp
    1>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\include\list(256) : error C2857: '#include' statement specified with the /YcGUI\precomp.h command-line option was not found in the source file
    1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\DEV\ClanLib-0.8.0\Debug\clanGUI\BuildLog.htm"
    1>clanGUI - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
    ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

This one has me stumped...

--Matt

Peasant

To anyone using Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition:

Microsoft has configured the software so that it does not support creating Win32 applications right out of the box (only CLR ones). In order to enable that support, simply follow the guidelines found at this page:

http://www.codeproject.com/useritems...S2005Win32.asp

If you've followed the instructions correctly, all you should have to do is create a new Empty Project and start coding! You won't have to worry about fiddling with project settings (though I still had to add a WIN32 preprocessor definition).

The nice thing about this is that your changes will be applied to all projects you create from now on, regardless of whether they're going to use Clanlib or not.

EDIT: You'll also have to make sure you subsystem (Project Settings > Linker > System > Subsystem) is set to Window, NOT console or left empty.
    Last edited by Sherack Nhar; 11-10-2006 at 06:19 PM.

Theres a few things that I do with my projects (debug/release type settings)

They go like this:
    debug config:
    C++
    1. under general
    -> debug information format: Program database for edit and continue
    2. under optimization
    -> optimization: disabled
    -> inline function expansion: default
    -> favor size or speed: neither
    3. under code generation
    -> enable minimal rebuild: yes
    -> enable function level thinking: yes
    4. under browse information
    -> enable browse information: include all browse information (more of a personal preference)

Linker
    1. under general
    -> enable incremental linking: yes (more of a personal preference)
    2. under debugging
    -> generate debug info: yes
    3. under system
    -> subsystem: windows (NOT Console)

And for Release, which I have not fully experimented with ... but are based on V6
    C++
    1. under optimization
    -> optimization: maximize speed
    -> inline function expansion: any suitable (results in slightly (or much) larger file size but can speed up execution quite a bit)
    -> enable intrinsic functions: yes
    -> favor size or speed: favor fast code

Linker
    1. under System
    -> subsystem: windows
    2. under optimization
    -> references: eliminate unreferenced data (use at your own risk, if you use scripts, this may or may not make your program seemingly crash at random)
    -> optimize for windows98: no (unless you feel like it ... I'd rather the window98ers get with the program)
    -> Linktime code generation: (this is a personal preference ... I don't think it would actually do much, even with whole program optimization except make you wait on a longer compile)

Anyway, that's what I use. Feel free to critique it, that way so all the people who have to use V8 express because M$ decided to ditch V6 can still program for windows.

Quote Originally Posted by ender@A View Post
    Okay, So I'm making progress. I got all but one of the libraries to compile under visual studio express c++. I can now get some of the examples to compile as well.
    What I'll do is write up an install procedure in a later post.
    However I still have a problem with the GUI library:

Here is the error message below:

1>------ Build started: Project: clanGUI, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
    1>Compiling...
    1>precomp.cpp
    1>C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\include\list(256) : error C2857: '#include' statement specified with the /YcGUI\precomp.h command-line option was not found in the source file
    1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\DEV\ClanLib-0.8.0\Debug\clanGUI\BuildLog.htm"
    1>clanGUI - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
    ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

This one has me stumped...

--Matt
    You'll need to run configure again and select the output for V7, then just update the project file. V7 seems to be the only one that I got to work perfectly.