Thread: Spellcheck on the tutorials

Knight

Default Spellcheck on the tutorials

Firstly, i'd like to say that I intended to only spellcheck, however as I was carefully proofreading, I noticed I was nitpicking at sentences and such. So i'm being a little grammar-nazi-ish (only ish though) -- So alot of these you may probably just end up ignoring, but I thought they were important enough. In fact it almost took me an hour to do this. I don't know why but some errors just started popping out and taking longer and longer. So please excuse the nitpickyness ---

Note i'm not sure if you know or not, or if it was already done, but usually two spaces are required after a period (and of course one after a comma).

On the first part, at the top it says "What's Novashell?" I'd put "What Is Novashell?" -- Sort of an emphasis on Is.

Part 2 -

(Run Novashell and choose the Dink Example from the list, or double click the file worlds/RT_DinkTest.novashell to start it directly) -- should have a period after directly. It's the second "paragraph" down the page (or third sentence if you like).

After instructing them to enter into edit mode by hitting F1 and just under the pic showing "editing map data in profile player" is this line - "Notice the title of the main edit bar has changed. All map edits you do are now limited to THIS particular game - it's kind of like a safety net, you can erase or add all you want without it mo dying the data." -- I think you want "modifying" instead of "mo dying".

A ways down after first showing the screen with dink in the room with the little "feet" icons you have this line -- "You're probably wondering what the heck those green things are and where they came from. Those are pathfinding node." -- You probably want "nodes" plural at the end there.

then directly under that is -- "The game automatically connects them together to constructs a graph that AI can use to navigate." -- there are two ways to do this. One is "The game automatically connects them together to construct a graph that AI can use to navigate." or "The game automatically connects them together and constructs a graph that AI can use to navigate." -- your choice. Also you may want to say "the AI", however that is a personal opinion, because I read it like "the AI" instead of straight "AI" -- but you don't have to change that last bit on my account, that's just another nitpicky thing :-)

Under the picture showing all the path nodes connected you havet his line - "If you delete or add them, lines will connect or disconnect automatically, based on if the paths can "see" each other or not." -- Properly it should be "If you delete or add them the lines will connect or disconnect automatically, based on whether the paths can "see" each other or not." -- "based on if" just doesn't sound right.

Under the "Layers" heading. A couple of paragraphs down you have this sentence -- "The problem is the layer isn't selected on the Active For Edit panel." -- I feel that you need it to say "The problem is that the layer isn't selected..." -- notice "The problem is the layer" verses my "The problem is that the layer"

Under the part where you resize the note symbol -- "You try to left click and drag, you only select things, it doesn't move." -- I would suggest putting an If on the front of the sentence. "If you try to left click and drag, you will only select things, it doesn't move."

Under the part of telling them how to paste an item, you have a tip "Tip: To perfectly align tiles, use the arrow keys to nudge it one pixel. Holt shift while nudging to move in larger increments." -- I think you want it to say "Hold shift" instead of "Holt" :-)

The last sentence just above the "What you need to know about Entities and TilePics" heading is this - "(we'll edit this saved game more, not the real data!)" -- You may want to capitalize "We'll"

under the tilepics and entities bullet points a sentence or two down is "(Ctrl-E works too, or choose Modify Selected->Edit Properties from the Tile Edit Floating Palette." -- Note you didn't end the closing parenthesis.

Down a ways beside the screen grab showing the tile/entity property sheed you have this - "In this case, the two pieces of data tell the system which image to use. (you would never manually set that)" -- You might want to include the text and parentheses before the period.

beside the same picture even further down - "The scale is a pretty weird number from us changing it, you can set it to "1 1" to remove all scaling." Make that into two sentences as they're two differen tideas. "The scale is a pretty weird number because we changed it. You can set it to "1 1" to remove all scaling."

There's kind of a big space and then another sentence saying "There are no limits..." and then below that is a tip "Tip:When you click OK, all entities on the active screen are reinitialized, so you see the changes right away. Be aware you should restart to fully update all maps though." -- however you didn't highlight this in yellow like you did the other "Tips".

Under the heading "Barrel Punching: The Sport" you have some text then an image of the Layer Control dialog. Then a sentence, then two sentences, the last sentence in that two sentence paragraph says "Double click a later in the right panel to see its properties." -- I think you want it to say "layer" instead of "later". (This is right next to the sentence with Parallax Scrolling in bold)

Under the closeup of the tile entity properties and the broken barrel (with a duck in the lower edge of it) is this line -- "You'll see a custom data called "broken" with a blank value." -- should be "You'll see a custom data field called "broken with a blank value." -- or just "custom field" or just "see custom data"

Down a ways under the screenshot of the system pallete you have this line -- "It's a collection miscellaneous tools, we'll get into how they work later." -- You probably should use an "and" conjunction. "It's a collection of miscellaneous tools and we'll get into how they work later."

continued on page 2 --

Keith

Knight

Default Page 2

Part 3:

Under a world in six minutes third sentence down -- "Now, edit the MyWorld.novashell file with your favorite text editor. (notepad works fine)" -- put the parentheses text before the period.

a couple more sentences -- "While doing this tutorials it is recommend you run Novashell in windowed mode." -- change this to these "While doing these tutorials"...

A few more paragraphs under the main menu pic -- "All of this can be overrided, the file systems are "mounted" in order and the last mounted one (which would be MyWorld) is checked before the others. (others just being "base" in this case, which is always mounted first)" last parenthesis should be before the period, and you want to change overrided to "overridden". "All of this can be overridden as the file systems are mounted in order and the last mounted one (which should be MyWorld) is checked before the others (others just being "base" in this case, which is always mounted first)."

next sentence down has this in the line "none of this stuff is "hardcoded", it's just default scripts." switch it's to they're or they are

under the Error - can't locate entity named player picture is part of a sentence -- "The generic intro menu script attemps to locate an entity named "Player"" change attemps to attempts.

Under the heading 'Grabbing a text object from the System Palette' is the mapswitcher image and then a small paragraph with this sentence -- "As always, there the ubiquitous "maps/System Palette"." -- should be "As always there is the ubiquitous "maps/System Palette"."

Under the command to save the active map, and show the new menu with your impressive title screen "My World" is this -- "Now press F1 and enjoy your handy work. Hmm, what we've learned bitmap fonts scaled huge look really blocky title like this should probably just be done in photoshop and imported like the buttons were." You need to break it up a bit -- try this instead "Now press F1 and enjoy your handy work. Hmm, what we've learned here is that bitmap fonts scaled huge look really blocky. A title like this should probably just be done in photoshop and imported like the buttons were."

Under the Importing Tiles heading you have a tip then a sentence which reads "Pictures are scanned from all map directories, the engine doesn't care which one it's found in." -- should be "Pictures are scanned from all map directories and the engine doesn't care which one it's found in." This is just above the Engine Tech Tip.

By the way you might want to remove the Engine tech tips from the getting started tutorials. If you think people are interested in that, put it in a faq somewhere else on your site. I have a feeling that if alot of people want to just modify your rpg, they're not interested in the engine all that much.

under the engine tech tip is another tip, then the file formats novashell will read, then this - "Transparent key color as well as full alpha (for png and tga formats) is supported." It doesn't sound right when the text in parentheses is read with the rest of the sentence. try this instead "Transparent key color as well as full alpha for png and tga formats are supported."

Under that is -- "Internally, textures must be a power of two, so it's best to keep that in mind when designing your art. (128X256 is better than 129X257, because that will get put on a 256X512 sized texture in video memory)" -- This is important and doesn't need to be in parenths either, but should be 3 full sentences. "Internally textures must be a power of two. 128x256 is better than 129x257 because that will get put on a 256x512 sized texture in vdeo memory. It's best to keep this in mind when designing your art."

You should spell out dir as directory or at least put a dir. (period) denoting the abbreviation.

Under the image of the different images to use in the game you have this line in a small paragraph "The top two things are designed to be 40X40 tiles, the dragon (or is a lizard monster?) will be our player and the tree will just be for decoration." -- try putting (or is it a lizard monster?) instead of (or is a ...

further down is a tip "Tip: Double click my_image to see it's global properties, it's possible to set a transparent key color." try -- "Tip: Double click my_image to see it's global properties. It's possible to set a transparent key color."

further down under a tip and before the image showing the graphics with the rock and stone tiles to the side, is this line -- "Now, the grid snapped version is useful because the first two art pieces are 40X40 tiles and ready to, the rest of this paste is fluff, we don't need it." -- I think you meant "too" instead of to... so I would think -- "Now the grid snapped version is useful because the first two art pieces are 40x40 and ready too! The rest of the paste is just fluff, we don't need it."

down further is -- "(I've selected all of them so you can clearly see each pictures size)" -- Try this "(I've selected all of them so you can clearly see each picture's size.)" -- added a period and a posessive to picture.

Part 4:

Under script doesn't exist image -- "Click Continue, and you should see the default script that was created for you and it should pop up in your associated text editor. (there is no internal editor in the engine itself)" -- put period after parenths.

After the basic empty script is shown "These are functions that are automatically run in an entities script." make entities into "entity's" because you said 'an entity's" script -- that is singular.

further down "Open the console. (tilde/backtick key to toggle it)" -- try doing it without parenths "Open the console using the tilde/backtick key to toggle it."

under another tip before the console display using multiple player's is "Active the editor and make four more copies of the dragon. Press F1 again to see what happens and look at the console." -- try Activate instead of Active :-)

under the heading "What the heck is "this"" -- ""this" is the entity that ran the script, an "Entity" object has many useful functions. (Check the scripting command reference for all of them)" -- I would put a period IN the parentheses here, and would split up that one sentence into two. ""this" is the entity that ran the script. An "Entity" object has many useful functions. (Check the scripting command reference for all of them.)"

-----------------------------
    That's all I could spot

Sorry if it seems like alot of stuff that probably isn't important, but it just kept staring me in the face, so I decided to show everything.

Keith

Fantastic, thanks a lot! I went through and applied the fixes.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies