Thread: Feature Request: Flood Fill

Lesser Wizard

Default Feature Request: Flood Fill

Imagine that you have a large floor to add to a room or a desert scene.
    Right now you have to drop a tile, painstakingly draw a row, copy that row, etc. etc.

It would be great to have a "flood fill" where you select some empty area on the screen - hit whatever key combo that represents flood fill and the whole area is fillled in (tiled neatly) with whatever object is selected.

For bonus points you might have other kinds of fills like "random fill" that randomly places copies of the object in the selected area.
    "outline fill" that places tiled versions of the object on the outermost outline (for making rooms, etc.)

Negative fill - fills the selected area with the current tile but removes tiles of that same kind ..

etc.

Added to the list, thanks
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Lesser Knight

Can this sort of functionality be added through Lua scripting? (i.e. how extensible is the editor?) Of course, something like floodfill would be probably be best served written in C/C++. I ask this because I think one of the greatest features in a map editor that a friend of mine wrote is that functionality could be added via scripting (in this case, using Python.) Floodfill was implemented using this facility as were other things such as random tile placement (within a set of ground tiles, for instance.)

Yes - I'm definitely trying to move in this direction. In fact, the next version moves some of the current editing commands to script.

For instance, to add the suggestion of "R will reset the camera zoom", I did this in editor.lua: (won't work on old versions, the "editor_only" thing is new, it just helps make keybindings that you don't have to keep checking to see if the editor is active or not)

Code:
    GetInputManager:AddBinding("r,editor_only", "OnEditorResetCameraScale", C_ENTITY_NONE);

function OnEditorResetCameraScale(bKeyDown)
    		//let's reset the zoom to 1/1 with this key

GetCamera:SetScale(Vector2(1,1));
    		GetCamera:InstantUpdate(); //don't let the camera leisurely lerp to the target

return true; //process any other remaining callbacks
    end
    So it is possible for people to add their own hotkeys or utilities. (or change keybindings they don't like)

The mouse-wheel zoom code is also moved to script in the next version.

Of course, in the editor mode the game logic is turned off (it can be unpaused but..) so it makes it hard to do something like monitor the mouse for mouse dragging in -script so I'll probably do the fill-tile thing in C++ for now.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

The flood fill feature was added, thanks. (While dragging a selection, a pop-up will come up letting you know you can hit F to flood fill with whatever is in the copy buffer. If grid snap is enabled, it will use that for spacing, otherwise it will just use the selection total size)
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Lesser Wizard

Thumbs up

flood fill = works great!

Default Class mouseEvent in floodfill

Sorry for asking Question by posting reply.............
    i m doing a java program related to floodfill. I m facing some problem in tat since i m new to floodfill.
    hw can i import more than 1 picture into the paint program tat i do by using buffered image?
    and is there got any code related to the mouseEvent on the floofill. For example u choose certain color from the control panel after tat u click on the area u wan to paint wit and it will the fill tat certain area................
    does any1 noe hw to do?
    Pls help!!!!