Thread: Accessing the global application instance

Default Accessing the global application instance

Is there a proper way to do this, you know, from outside my Application.cpp and Application.h? Should it even be done?

I have an input event handler class which should work by translating the events into calls to application functions/signals (which either issue a command to game logic or adjust some application parameter). I thought it would be as simple as marking the application instance as static and then #including Application.h.

But it seems that the instance which the input handler sees is NOT the global one I want -- from what the debugger and my own investigations tell me, it is a new instance whose members have yet to be initialized. I've tried redeclaring the global instance as extern, and it hasn't helped. What do I do?

Well, I'm not totally sure if this is what you mean, but I do access my "main instance" everywhere, should be fine.

In my main.cpp:

Code:
    App MyApp; //declare the main app global
    App * GetApp(){return &MyApp;}
    In my main.h:

Code:
    class App : public CL_ClanApplication
    {
    public:
        App();
        virtual ~App();
    ..blah blah a bunch of junk specific to the app...
    };

extern App MyApp;
    App * GetApp();
    And then I use GetApp()->SomeFunction() everytime I need something from outside the MyApp class.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

It turns out that, yes, my improper use of extern was the problem. Declare the global instance in Application.cpp, and again as extern in Application.h, so all a class need do is #include Application.h.