Thread: Parsing HTML -ClanLib right for the job?

Lesser Knight

Default Parsing HTML -ClanLib right for the job?

I need to parse a series of Web pages for specific information. Structurally, there's one master index page, which contains readily identifiable links to sub indices. From these sub indices, I get the locations of the final pages, which need to be parsed for information. What I want to know is, would ClanLib's networking and XML tools be appropriate for this?

And does anyone know of some good tutorials that could help me get started in this area?

Default Python

I'm sure the XML facilities in clanlib could be used to do this, but there are MUCH easier ways of doing this.

For one, try the HTML facilities in Python. They are very robust and feature rich. Plus you get the added bonus of programming in Python.

If you MUST use c++ to do this, then maybe libwww is your cup of tea.

ClanLib Developer

If you don't need any visuals and want to use ClanLib, I'd look at the 0.9 branch. The XML stuff is better, and Magnus has coded in quite alot of html helper classes. Not sure they help you, but worth checking out

Lesser Knight

Well, it's not that I *must* use C++, it's just that I've never gotten around to learning Python

I figure I'll just shell out to wget in order to grab the files, so all I really have to do is parse the html. Thanks Sphair, I'll try the 0.9 branch to see what's there.

ClanLib Developer

The web stuff in 0.9 is mostly about sending the HTTP requests and dealing with SOAP messages. The DOM classes in 0.8 or 0.9 is not very suitable for parsing HTML, since HTML is not XML and allows unclosed tags.

Generally there are specialized languages that handle tasks like parsing HTML much better (perl for example). If you must parse HTML output in C++, the best method is most likely to use a regular expression library, such as PCRE. ClanLib 0.9 has classes that wrap this library, but 0.9 isn't complete yet, so if you chose that path you may end up having to fix things in ClanLib.