Thread: Sprites and more...

Default Sprites and more...

Hi,
    I'm going to start doing some sprites for my game (villagers, monsters and such), so I'd like to know what animations will be needed. Is Walk, Attack, Idle, Die enough for a monster and Walk, Idle for a villager? What animations will the main character need? Also, will it be possible, when Novashell is finished, to stand still facing all directions? Right now, when you don't walk or attack, you can either face up, down, left or right, not diagonally.

And controlling with a mouse - will we be able to hold the mouse button down and have the guy follow it or will we need to click every time we want to move (like it is right now)?

I guess that's about it. Thanks for your time.

Lesser Knight

How many frames are you willing to draw?

Lesser Wizard

I think he means what are all the boilerplate states that a monster or player can be in -- in order to not have wierd gaps in the animation.

I'm going to start doing some sprites for my game (villagers, monsters and such), so I'd like to know what animations will be needed. Is Walk, Attack, Idle, Die enough for a monster and Walk, Idle for a villager? What animations will the main character need? Also, will it be possible, when Novashell is finished, to stand still facing all directions? Right now, when you don't walk or attack, you can either face up, down, left or right, not diagonally.
    The way the animation system works is it will sort of see what's available and use it if it's there - for instance, these should be valid configurations for any visual state:

• 1 dir - If "left" is the only anim found, will be used for all directions
    • 2 dirs - if a left and right is found, only those will be used (good for death, could have one pic and mirror it in the profile)
    • 4 dirs - normal OR diagonal, they don't look that bad, the troll idle currently has only 4 dirs (best match is chosen automatically)
    • 8 dirs - this is the max you can do, looks the best but takes the most art. Mirror can help through (only need 5 instead of 8)

This is how things are supposed to work, it may not quite work that way yet though. (for instance, I don't think only diagonals are supported yet..)

Also, in the visual profile, you can also just manually assign the same anim for the directions you want so it won't guess when things are missing, internally it doesn't waste memory or anything.

As for stopping on an 8 dir idle, that is possible to fix in script by doing the following: (I think)

• * Need all 8 idle dirs in the profile (troll has four..)
    • * If player turn speed is very high you may need to setup a timer so if up-left are released "sort of at the same time" this would register as C_FACING_UP_LEFT, instead of up or left. Because it's very difficult to let go of two keys at exactly the same time.

I'll try to get one of the examples doing that at some point.

And controlling with a mouse - will we be able to hold the mouse button down and have the guy follow it or will we need to click every time we want to move (like it is right now)?
    Hmm, I think this could be done in script, things could be changed to run a "go to the point under the cursor" every 250 MS or so while the mouse is being held down.

PS: Hmmm, I'm not sure I answered your main question. Walk and idle is enough for villers who can't die or attack. From there, add animations as needed depending on what the NPC can do.

Also, in a pinch, you could just assign the first frame of the walk as the idle if need be, if you don't have a real idle.
    Last edited by Seth; 02-13-2007 at 12:31 AM.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Wonderful. I don't quite understand scripting yet so I guess putting everything in will have to wait. The graphics will take a while to make anyway.

And I use a 3D program, so making extra frames won't take a lot of work.

Thanks.

Edit: Also, will it be possible for NPCs attacking each other? I'd like the town guards to attack and kill monsters who are approaching the gate (if the player leads them there). And can I make a script which makes children run around and play tag? That'd be awesome.
    Last edited by Ledorax; 02-13-2007 at 07:02 PM.

Default Question

how do you make the sprites? I dont know how to create a .lua and I want to make a game. BTW I work on a mac.

Also, will it be possible for NPCs attacking each other? I'd like the town guards to attack and kill monsters who are approaching the gate (if the player leads them there). And can I make a script which makes children run around and play tag? That'd be awesome.
    This is a late reply, but yes, things like that should be no problem. I'll be adding more AI help things as I need them in my own game.. those kinds of things are the most interesting.

how do you make the sprites? I dont know how to create a .lua and I want to make a game. BTW I work on a mac.
    Since then I've added more tutorials, tutorial 3 has info on making sprites, tutorial 7 has some info on visual profiles.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Default inputmanagerhelp

i need help importing keys other than the arrows for moving my character. I would like to use W S A D for up down left and right. I don't understand how to do it even after both the tutorial and the scripting reference. Also, will you make it so that we can make our games a .exe and .app file? (Windows Executable and Application MAC) I want my games to be protected so other people wouldn't be able to claim it theirs.

Squire

Quote Originally Posted by mortalkenshi2 View Post
    i need help importing keys other than the arrows for moving my character. I would like to use W S A D for up down left and right. I don't understand how to do it even after both the tutorial and the scripting reference. Also, will you make it so that we can make our games a .exe and .app file? (Windows Executable and Application MAC) I want my games to be protected so other people wouldn't be able to claim it theirs.
    Unless I'm mistaken... movement keys can be defined with the AddBinding controls. For example, instead of using

GetInputManager:AddBinding("left,always", "OnLeft", this:GetID());

...just replace

"left,always" with "a,always"

Still a noob myself so... I could be wrong