Thread: A few scripting questions

Default A few scripting questions

Hi everyone!

I am writing to enquire as to the nature of several scripting problems. Really there not so much problems as I would just like to know about them.

Firstly, I would like to ask about the sound manager. Is there anyway to detect if a sound is playing? I am thinking of something like:

mySound = GetSoundManager:Play("audio/sfx.ogg");
    if (GetSoundManager:GetIsPlaying(mySound)) then
    // Don't play it again
    end

The reason I ask this is that in a game I am working on a sound plays upon a collision and if the player positions himself against the object that the sound plays upon colliding with, the program starts playing as many instances of the sound as it possibly can and it starts lagging very much. I could set a timer type thing to check if a sound should still be playing, but maybe this would be more elegant?

Nextly I should like to just ask what the depth and normal parms in OnCollision[Static] do. I figure from the example in the reference that they tell the direction of the collision or something maybe? But I can't quite pin it down.

And lastly, and this might be more appropriate in the feature requests forum, but since I already have this thread... Does novashell have any plans to support clanlib's networking? I just noticed that it was listed as one of clanlib's features and became curious.

Thanks for any enlightenment that anyone may care to provide!

Firstly, I would like to ask about the sound manager. Is there anyway to detect if a sound is playing?
    Sure, just added it. Thanks.

Nextly I should like to just ask what the depth and normal parms in OnCollision[Static] do. I figure from the example in the reference that they tell the direction of the collision or something maybe? But I can't quite pin it down.
    The normal is a unit vector that shows the direction of the collision and helps you determine who hit who. If a player jumps up and hits his head on a stationary block, the vector will be x = 0, (no side to side movement) and y = -1 (moving up). But, if he hit it at an angle, the normal will reflect that.

Depth is the distance that the two objects overlap, how much penetration there is.

Does novashell have any plans to support clanlib's networking? I just noticed that it was listed as one of clanlib's features and became curious.
    No network support is planned at the moment.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Cool, thanks. IsPlaying works great! I hope to have a game to show fairly soon...