Thread: New to Novashell and would like help starting

Cool New to Novashell and would like help starting

I am the WackedOutBiker, and insane motorcyclist who likes to write stories and wants to turn his latest work into an action/adventure/RPG type thing...this would be great, but I'm having a little trouble getting started.

I've tried RPG Toolkit, but it doesn't have the features I need for a decent real-time battle system and a few other things I would like to have. Eventually I will want to make it 3D but I will try it this way first, I think.

But anyway, are there any other helpful tools or documents other than those seven tutorilas to aid me in my quest?
    Last edited by wackedoutbiker; 03-27-2007 at 08:39 PM. Reason: 3d games are cool, too!

Script templates for basic characters (like the RPG thing with the cool-looking monster) would be cool, too, as it could really help new users like me get their feet wet. Be sure to include lots of comments in the scripts so that we do not get confused and so we know which code does what. It will definitely make things easier for everyone in the end.

I'll ask more stuff later, like on how to copyright your work. Because I don't want my ideas stolen, you know.

Also, do you have a downloadable ZIP of the scripting references? Because I don't get internet at home and usually go to a friend's house for it.
    Last edited by wackedoutbiker; 03-27-2007 at 09:14 PM. Reason: I want RED Text!!!!!

Lesser Wizard

That's not a bad idea. Hey Seth, do you think you could package up the script reference and tutorials in the novashell zip / installer distribution file?

Squire

What do you mean by copyrighting your work? If you mean to keep people from taking your assets (sound/art) and code, there are no protective measures as of yet implemented in Novashell, but Seth has mentioned that there will be later.

If your referring to legal copyrights, anything you create is technically copyrighted to you, but if you want to enforce it in court you have to submit your work to the Library of Congress in a format they will accept.

Script templates for basic characters (like the RPG thing with the cool-looking monster) would be cool, too, as it could really help new users like me get their feet wet. Be sure to include lots of comments in the scripts so that we do not get confused and so we know which code does what. It will definitely make things easier for everyone in the end.
    My plan is turn the RPG test into a fully fleshed out mini-RPG, with a couple quests, health, working store, fighting, etc. So I'll be writing a lot of helper scripts for those.

That's not a bad idea. Hey Seth, do you think you could package up the script reference and tutorials in the novashell zip / installer distribution file?
    As much as I love the 'always updated' nature of web only docs, I do tend to forget we don't all have 24/7 connections.

I guess I should include them or at least put them in an optional download at some point, maybe a bit later, as they are still changing quite a bit.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Exclamation

Yeah, but you gotta keep the real-time battle system you currently have, and an inventory system would be great. (according to what weapon you assign to his left or right hand, the attack animations change as well)

I think I know enough to get started on the maps of my game, at the very least. I'll let you know how it's turning out.

Projectile attacks are also a must...I am not creating a fantasy game, but one set in modern times, with modern weapons. So any kind of guidance would be great.

And once it's a stable setting, you do need to send the docs with the main installer so that us without 'net at home can refer to them...I'm sure the first release will be great. The beta certainly is.

And please, try to make things as graphically oriented as possible, so that development goes smoother and faster for the majority of us who are new to games.