Thread: Help compiling ClanLib

Default Help compiling ClanLib

Hello, I recenly bought the book "Introduction to Game Programming with C++" by Alan Thorn, and I have encountered a problem. In the beginning of Chapter 15 we're asked to download the latest main ClanLib library. And then it tells us to download "Dependencies" wich are "libjpeg" "zlib" and "libpng".
    (At this point I am not 100% sure, but fairly sure, that i even find the correct files to download.)

Then the book says Once the library is downloaded, all the required files should be extracted to a common folder. The first aim is to compile all the source code into a LIB (library) file...To do this, a programmer should open the source code files or project files in the IDE of his choice, and then build the project using standart compilation options.
    (Here i face more questions, as 1) We're not told wich files are "required". 2) Wich source code files should be opened? There are a lot of them, and opening and compiling them all one by one sounds plain silly.)

The compilers i are using is DevCpp and Code::Blocks
    I'd really appreciate some kind of help, so that I may continue my voyage towards the gaming dream i so dearly desire to achieve.

"The compilers i are using is DevCpp and Code::Blocks"
    Those are both IDE's. Both of those environments use the freely available MingW, which you probably already have.

At this point I am not 100% sure, but fairly sure, that i even find the correct files to download.
    http://www.clanlib.org/download/rele...nLib-0.8.0.zip
    http://lefthand.xullum.net/downloads...ngw32-libs.zip
    I personally use MS Visual Studio 2005 express, but it seems like those two packs are the only things you will need for your environment.

We're not told wich files are "required".
    He's referring to the lib pack and clanlib pack.

Wich source code files should be opened?
    When I compiled clanlib, there was a config project file for my IDE that I compiled which created a program which then created the project file to compile clanlib with. Look for that.

Sorry for explaining poorly, I am just as new to this as you.

thanks,

I opened the configure file that was compatible with my IDE and tried to compile it, but it says.
    "Configure - Release" uses an invalid compiler. Skipping...
    Nothing to be done.

Not sure why.

http://lefthand.xullum.net/downloads...ngw32-libs.zip
    I downloaded this, but exactly what am I supposed to do? I mean, wich files should I compile/copypaste/link to?

Also, when you said Both of those environments use the freely available MingW, which you probably already have., did you mean "you probably already have" as in it's probably included in the IDE's, or it's probably something a smart programmer should've downloaded by now? Because I don't think I've downloaded anything like that. D;

Not sure why.
    Me neither, but I'll get to that it a moment. Which IDE were you using when you got this error?

exactly what am I supposed to do?
    You just have to unzip it, and tell the compiler where it can be found.

did you mean "you probably already have" as in it's probably included in the IDE's, or it's probably something a smart programmer should've downloaded by now?
    I meant it's probably included with the IDE.

Sorry, I can't really tell you a definite way to do this. Like I said, I don't have those environments write in front of me, and I am new (to clanlib) as well. From reading other posts in this forum, I think I was lucky enough to succeed in just free balling through the process in visual studio. The whole process of compiling the engine, in my opinion, is overly complicated. Having an unresponsive forum sucks too.

You just have to unzip it, and tell the compiler where it can be found.
    Just the folder containing everything else?, or specific files within the folder?

Sorry, I can't really tell you a definite way to do this. Like I said, I don't have those environments write in front of me, and I am new (to clanlib) as well. From reading other posts in this forum, I think I was lucky enough to succeed in just free balling through the process in visual studio. The whole process of compiling the engine, in my opinion, is overly complicated. Having an unresponsive forum sucks too.
    Well, I'm glad to get all the help I can get, thanks a lot!

Don't leave any zip files unzipped, but having zip files inside of others doesn't make too much sense. Just be sure, the linker can get to all of them it wants.

Don't leave any zip files unzipped, but having zip files inside of others doesn't make too much sense. Just be sure, the linker can get to all of them it wants.
    Nono, what I meant was, should I just link to the unzipped folder, or should I link to specific files within the unzipped folder, in that case, wich ones?

Well just try it, and it will tell you if it doesn't work.