Thread: Rendering into my custom image and then drawing this image to the display

Default Rendering into my custom image and then drawing this image to the display

Hello to all,

How can I draw some rectangles and text strings into my custom image (or, maybe, custom pixel buffer or custom graphic context)? And then draw this graphic context on the screen?

This is needed when I have a lot of static text to be drawed, because of the simple font.draw() is very slow for the real-time rendering with good FPS's (when there are > 1000 symbols).

Thanks!
    Alexey.

Why not load images of the text? Does it need to be created at runtime?

Thank you for your reply, Adam!

Of course, it is needed to be created during runtime. Just imaging such situation: we use a transparent richtext control (which is similar to the NotePad's client area) and load a big amount of text. And there are some other animated graphics elements behind this richedit control. So, we need to redraw the text each frame (for example, 40 times per second) to produce a nice animation of that graphics elements.

But when it draws of about 500-1000 chars simultaneously, the FPS slows down to 20-15 on my Pentium IV 2800.

Of course, the first thing that occurs in mind - to render this text to some custom buffer after each text changing, window resizing or scrolling position changing.

If you have any other proposition, it'll be appeciated!

(For more info about the richtext control I'm telling about see my topics on http://www.rtsoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1718 ).

Regards,
    Alexey.

ClanLib Developer

Look into the Canvas class, and the Canvas example. It lets you render to a texture which you can then draw later on.

Thanks!

I'll try to do it in a few days and tell you about results.

Regards,
    Alexey.