Thread: Sound Input

Squire

Default Sound Input

Why is there no Sound Input?
    I found in an old ode sample a code for that but it was out-commented, and didn't compile, so now I ask why there is now soudn input in Clanlib?
    for games this would be very useful if you want not only a textbased chat but also a speech based chat ...

ClanLib Developer

I can't remember if CL-0.8 has a sound microphone class or not, but if it once had and it isn't there anymore, then it is because the code was most likely buggy and got removed because of this.

Squire

So theres no chance to get back a class for that ?
    because as I already metioned, it would be useful for games...
    I would be very good if there will be an interface for that in future (may you add this todo you large todo list ?
    I know, you boys do a hard work, and you've got already a lot of stuff to do ...
    but may you add it as a future feature or so ?

ClanLib Developer

Next time clanSound is revised it might get added again, but generally clanSound has a very low priority.

The reason for this is that doing sound in general is bit of a mess - in Windows appearently all drivers are buggy (just see the list of cards not working with Battlefield 2142 as an example of that). In Linux every man and his dog has written their own sound daemon (for some unexplainable reason the kernel devs believe the OS should share the file system resource amongst applications but not the sound resource). To make things even more lovely Microsoft seem to fancy deprecating their sound APIs every weekend (i.e. Vista got a new sound API), so whenever you want to do sound you have to start from scratch.

Anyway, since most ClanLib users that care greatly about sound seem to just use another sound library these days, it hasn't been given that much effort. Frankly its not that fun to code a sound lib when it never works due to drivers or silly linux distributions.
    Last edited by Judas; 09-22-2007 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Damned typos :)