Thread: Anything new with novashell?

Default Anything new with novashell?

Anything new with novashell, like a new release on the horizon soon? It's been a while since an update was done. I was wondering too, since I tried to compile novashell from scratch. It compiled finally, but some of the game examples run very slowly. Maybe I did something wrong? I had to include libs from the DirectX SDK from august 2007, as well as some include files from Boost.com. Were those ok?

Thanks in advanced

I've been stuck on another project but hope to get back into it soon.

It compiled finally, but some of the game examples run very slowly.
    Hrm. I don't think I do anything special, except make double sure it's the Release mode that you compiled. I use VC8 Pro here.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Ah, great to hear about that! Im using MSVC2005 too, how do I compile the release mode? I think ive only compiled the debug one. Also, can I use the 0.9.0 clanlib version instead of the 0.8.0 one?

Change the solution configuration to "Static MT Release" for the release build.

Clanlib 0.9 can't be used to build Novashell, too many things have changed, the GUI was rewritten in 0.9 and I don't think it's worth it to update Novashell to use it. So it will always require 0.8 from SVN or 0.8.1+ after its been released.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Ok, did that. Thanks! Now, Im trying to make a game using novashell. Im not much of a programmer, but rather a game designer. (or at least I'd like to be) Do you suggest any good game content creation tools? Like for creating sprites, background, textures, etc? I'm looking to make a 2d top-down hybrid fps with rpg elements.

Do you suggest any good game content creation tools? Like for creating sprites, background, textures, etc?
    Maybe the best way is finding an artist to team up with...

If you've got $3,000 to burn I recommend 3DSMax, a 3D modeling/rendering program - you can purchase (or create) 3D models and render out the 2D angles/sizes that you need.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Lesser Wizard

You could try GameMaker or there's a new online MMO building site coming out sometime soon called Metaplace:

http://www.metaplace.com

It's like Novashell only in flash w/ mmo capabilities already built in out of the box.

Thanks whisperstorm for the info, ill check that out! Hmm, yeah probably teaming up with an artist is the best way, seth, since im not very good at making art. I think of myself more as a writer. Wow, 3 grand for 3ds max, damn. I think ill give blender3d a look instead.