Thread: default window size...

Default default window size...

hey seth or whomever can answer,

when i work in the editor i prefer to do it in windowed mode, meaning i press the <ctrl>+<shft>+<r> combination.

but i'm trying to find the lua script or xml file that controls the size of windowed mode. i'd like to make it a little bigger for map editing and since there is no window resizing available i know i have to change a setting somewhere. i just have not been able to track down where.

any help would be appreciated.

and awesome work seth, i completed the tutorial 'dragon eggs' at work on a pc, zipped and mailed the world files to myself, went home and placed the files in my mac version at home and it ran flawlessly. sweeeeeeeet

I just finished the tutorial as well.
    To answer your questions the editor at the moment does not have a config file of any sort.

To switch to windowed mode I usually use <ALT>+<ENTER>

When in editing mode you can click:
    Display -> Video Options -> Set Screen Size -> *

You can also add command-line options when launching novashell to force it directly into windowed mode and/or the resolution you specified.
    eg. "novashell -window -resolution 1280 1024"

thnx sci,

i guess i was not paying close enough attention, as usual. i know where that display menu is, now that you've told me, but where is the documentation or instructions on the 'command-line' part? that sounds like the route i want to take so it always boots into 'windowed' mode.

by the way, how long did it take you to finish the tut?

it took me two days, only because i kept erasing my progress by the way i was playing/testing in and out of the editor.

Under Windows, create a shortcut to it if there isn't one already in your start menu or on your desktop, and go to its properties and just add those options (-window -resolution 1280 1024) after the address to novashell.

I'm running linux here so I can't give you specific instructions but it should be something like.
    "C:\Program Files\NovaShell\novashell.exe" and you change that to "C:\Program Files\NovaShell\novashell.exe -window -resolution 1280 1024"

The tutorial took me around 3 hours, I didn't take my time with it cause I'm more focused on making art so I'll be filling in the gaps with some small demos of my own before tackling a large project.

[edit]
    I recall it being something like "C:\Program Files\NovaShell\novashell.exe" -window -resolution 1280 1024
    You'll have to ask another Windows user if you want anything specific.
    Last edited by SCIBOTIC; 02-12-2008 at 05:19 PM.

thnx for the help sci,

i edited the shortcut. here is what i put in for anybody interested...

"C:\Documents and Settings\harrisal\My Documents\novafiles\Novashell\game.exe" -window -resolution 1024 768

and that did the trick. i had to play around a bit to find an acceptable resolution, but it was painless for the most part.

now i'll have to find the equivalent file for my mac at home.

hope you post your demos. folks around here are friendly, but there isn't much in the way of screen shots, examples or demos to peruse.

edit: i found the mac os unix executable file that starts novashell, but i don't know how to change it. i went into terminal/command line and entered the file path along with the windowing options and it worked from terminal. now i just need to get at that unix file somehow and change it accordingly.

any ideas?
    Last edited by harrio; 02-13-2008 at 04:03 AM. Reason: found mac exe file...

Please try the new version, it allows a way to setup the startup video mode or extra parms from Options->Novashell System Properties.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

ah sweet joy,

no more terminal windows. thank you very much seth. your hard work on shell in lieu of all your other commitments is greatly appreciated.