Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 93

Thread: Moderators; realize the incongruity of belittling them!

  1. #1
    Master Sorcerer Jack Bowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    England!
    Posts
    4,761

    Default Moderators; realize the incongruity of belittling them!

    Firstly, please note that this isn't aimed at all of you - rather aimed at the continuous income of threads that are criticizing the moderators, their decisions and the heinous accusations that they don't do their job nor positively contribute to the community (which they do!)

    First and foremost, I talk from experience, both my own and the stories of other moderators, both in this game and out; moderating is stressful. In this game it's a job which is performed by volunteers - people who gain nothing (with the exception of wands) from the job, other than self achievement. The criticism they receive for not doing their VOLUNTEER job to your standards (not the standards they're set by the developers) is absurd, and that's the predominant reason on why I'm making this thread, to hopefully allow players to comprehend that bastardizing a moderator for something you disagree with, or misunderstand isn't the correct thing to do.

    The most common report about the moderators of Growtopia is something similar to the following: "I messaged a moderator about a drop game and they didn't do anything! Mods don't do their job!!!". This is absolutely lamentable - just because you don't see them take action, doesn't mean they don't. And if they don't take action, they may have taken action on another player or be investigating a situation. They may have just not seen your message due to the spam - I hope you're realizing that all this and more adds to a pile of reasons why you don't see a particular player banned or a moderator show up to that said world, and because of all of these reasons I don't see it of plausible reason to accuse a moderator of not doing their job our of blatant ignorance if you don't understand their situation. If they said something similar to "I don't care" I could understand your concern, but this hasn't happened, most likely never will and thus, for the most part, I see this particular argument as invalid. Moderators - they get hundreds of private messages per minute, and they don't attend the drop game you reported; this doesn't mean they're not doing their job, it means they didn't read your message. They won't see every message thus they won't attend every report. This is how it'll always be because they're human.

    Preposterously, there is another common argument about seeing mods in YouTube videos or hanging around with "famous" people - you're looking to much into it and not realizing the simplicity of the situation; they're hanging around with *friends*. People they enjoy chilling with and taking a break from their responsibilities to continue to endorse their social life. I'm sure, with a few exceptions, that most of you enjoy to hang out with friends in Growtopia during your life span - and they're all the same, as real people they have real emotions and real friendships, and I am all for them continuing to practice that and take a break now and then, as, again, they're volunteers.

    Furthermore, just because the moderators aren't doing the job you expect them to, it doesn't mean they aren't doing what the developers expect of them. Moderating isn't all about banning this drop game player or muting that profane individual, it's about enlightening the community, whether that be by punishments or becoming more community-oriented. They each have their methods and qualities, and that's why they're moderators. A quote by Solorien further proves this point:

    Quote Originally Posted by Solorien
    Secondly, the mods are allowed to have down time. They often choose to change their names when they aren't actively moderating so that they aren't being spammed constantly. This is something they are encouraged to do because dealing with the hatred and nastiness that is aimed at mods 24/7 would literally DESTROY a person's mind.
    They are allowed to have FUN with players. Moderating is not just punishments. It's about making connections with people and trying to bring out the best in others.
    You claim that, in certain situations, some players are treated better than others. No. Untrue. I know for a fact that, when moderating, it's a case by case situation. All punishments depend on the extent of the rule violation, the moderator punishing you, and your previous punishment history. When visiting players, they won't go to every world requested - this is practically impossible, they go to the ones they see, the ones that stick out to them, or the ones their friends are at, because everything is more fun with friends. Claiming inequality for players is incongruous, seeing how unequal moderators are treated due to them being scrutinized simply because of their title - equality is something hard to fathom; the way I see it, in terms of moderation, it's the fact that nothing irrelevant (such as a grudge, religion, or personal views) will effect your punishment or response from a member of staff - and that all players are given equal opportunities, which they are. You will ALWAYS come across someone you dislike, whether it be due to their attitude, or your personal experience with them, moderators are the same, however, I have never seen a moderator let this impact the professionalism of their job, and I have never seem them treat people differently, and thus I don't see any problem with equality within Growtopia.

    You complain that moderators are there for the "fame", the "power", and the "wealth". Well, predominantly, that's the communities doing. The moderators are only popular as the majority of Growtopian players treat them as celebrities, and thus they appear accordingly to everyone else. They don't go in for the fame, but you provide it. The power isn't a valid argument, sure, they're giving tools, but if they abuse those tools to their own benefit, they are revoked of their abilities and receive a ban in-game. It's a VERY serious offense, and therefore nobody does it. Being spiteful and holding a grudge isn't a positive attribute, and as STYX once said, they treat negative assailants as "dust in the wind[:". They earn wands for their work, however, most of them don't sell them due to the trouble it causes.

    Mods aren't there to hold you hand - the freedom of an MMO is what makes it successful - skeptical thinking and critical analysis can get you out of any scamming situation - you're not forced to drop/giveaway your items; if something seems too good to be true, it probably is! If moderators did everything for you, the game wouldn't be as fun as it is - they're there to do the job they've been assigned by their employers, not the job the communities wants to assign them - you don't choose what they prioritize, they do, and so do the developers. I'd like to reimburse the fact that your interpretation of a moderators responsibilities and duties may not be the same as the developers. The moderators we have are great, dedicated, reliable and genuine people.

    In cases of hardship, you demean the moderators for unjustly punishing a player, and then complain when they won't provide you with evidence (which they are in no reason obligated to do so). The forums, or Growtopia itself, is not a public court. People will always question punishments, if they can try to get out of it, they will. Just because somebody claims their punishment was unjust, it doesn't mean the moderator was in the wrong. It does, in no way, means they abused their powers. And it most definitely does not mean there is a corrupt moderator in our midst.

    How about for once you stop looking for the negativity of the moderators, and you reminisce on all the good they've done, all the positivity they've contributed to the community as a whole, and how much they've elevated and uplifted the standard of enjoyability within Growtopia. Not one person can change the world, but heck all of these people try, and they all deserve way more credit than you're giving them.

    Again, I'd like to reimburse the fact that you don't know what a moderator is doing, and all you can do is accuse, assume and speculate, which can be dangerous as it isn't always accurate nor reliable. Whether you think they're doing their job or not, as long as they're doing what the developers want them to do, I don't see an issue, and therefore there is no need to publicly call them out and provide unnecessary criticism. Moderators already proclaim enough hate with the title alone, the decisions aren't their weak point.

    If you do feel a moderator is abusing their powers, being derogatory on the forums and antagonizing them is NOT the way to go about it. Reports of moderators behaving unjustly are taken VERY seriously, and you can email support@growtopiagame.com rather than causing an inconvenient ruckus on the forums.

    To the WHOLE moderating team: I know how stressful your job is, I know all the hardship that occurs to all of you, and I know how much you're demeaned, criticized, belittled and bastardized, and I respect you even more so for not retaliating, for learning to ignore incoherent posts and for continuing to do what you do and benefit the community. You all deserve a special spot in Growtopia's heart. <3
    Last edited by Jack Bowe; 06-20-2015 at 05:05 PM.


    The problem with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

  2. #2
    Master Sorcerer Palestinian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Middle east ; Arab
    Posts
    694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Bowe View Post
    Firstly, please note that this isn't aimed at all of you - rather aimed at the continuous income of threads that are criticizing the moderators, their decisions and the heinous accusations that they don't do their job nor positively contribute to the community (which they do!)

    First and foremost, I talk from experience, both my own and the stories of other moderators, both in this game and out; moderating is stressful. In this game it's a job which is performed by volunteers - people who gain nothing (with the exception of wands) from the job, other than self achievement. The criticism they receive for not doing their VOLUNTEER job to your standards (not the standards they're set by the developers) is absurd, and that's the predominant reason on why I'm making this thread, to hopefully allow players to comprehend that bastardizing a moderator for something you disagree with, or misunderstand isn't the correct thing to do.

    The most common report about the moderators of Growtopia is something similar to the following: [I]I messaged a moderator about a drop game and they didn't do anything! Mods don't do their job!!!". This is absolutely lamentable - just because you don't see them take action, doesn't mean they don't. And if they don't take action, they may have taken action on another player or be investigating a situation. They may have just not seen your message due to the spam - I hope you're realizing that all this and more adds to a pile of reasons why you don't see a particular player banned or a moderator show up to that said world, and because of all of these reasons I don't see it of plausible reason to accuse a moderator of not doing their job our of blatant ignorance if you don't understand their situation. If they said something similar to "I don't care" I could understand your concern, but this hasn't happened, most likely never will and thus, for the most part, I see this particular argument as invalid. Moderators - they get hundreds of private messages per minute, and they don't attend the drop game you reported; this doesn't mean they're not doing their job, it means they didn't read your message. They won't see every message thus they won't attend every report. This is how it'll always be because they're human.

    Preposterously, there is another common argument about seeing mods in YouTube videos or hanging around with "famous" people - you're looking to much into it and not realizing the simplicity of the situation; they're hanging around with *friends*. People they enjoy chilling with and taking a break from their responsibilities to continue to endorse their social life. I'm sure, with a few exceptions, that most of you enjoy to hang out with friends in Growtopia during your life span - and they're all the same, as real people they have real emotions and real friendships, and I am all for them continuing to practice that and take a break now and then, as, again, they're volunteers.

    Furthermore, just because the moderators aren't doing the job you expect them to, it doesn't mean they aren't doing what the developers expect of them. Moderating isn't all about banning this drop game player or muting that profane individual, it's about enlightening the community, whether that be by punishments or becoming more community-oriented. They each have their methods and qualities, and that's why they're moderators. A quote by Solorien further proves this point:



    You complain that moderators are there for the "fame", the "power", and the "wealth". Well, predominantly, that's the communities doing. The moderators are only popular as the majority of Growtopian players treat them as celebrities, and thus they appear accordingly to everyone else. They don't go in for the fame, but you provide it. The power isn't a valid argument, sure, they're giving tools, but if they abuse those tools to their own benefit, they are revoked of their abilities and receive a ban in-game. It's a VERY serious offense, and therefore nobody does it. Being spiteful and holding a grudge isn't a positive attribute, and as STYX once said, they treat negative assailants as "dust in the wind[:". They earn wands for their work, however, most of them don't sell them due to the trouble it causes.

    Mods aren't there to hold you hand - the freedom of an MMO is what makes it successful - skeptical thinking and critical analysis can get you out of any scamming situation - you're not forced to drop/giveaway your items; if something seems too good to be true, it probably is! If moderators did everything for you, the game wouldn't be as fun as it is - they're there to do the job they've been assigned by their employers, not the job the communities wants to assign them - you don't choose what they prioritize, they do, and so do the developers. I'd like to reimburse the fact that your interpretation of a moderators responsibilities and duties may not be the same as the developers. The moderators we have are great, dedicated, reliable and genuine people.

    In cases of hardship, you demean the moderators for unjustly punishing a player, and then complain when they won't provide you with evidence (which they are in no reason obligated to d so). The forums, or Growtopia itself, is not a public court. People will always question punishments, if they can try to get out of it, they will. Just because somebody claims their punishment was unjust, it doesn't mean the moderator was in the wrong. It does, in no way, means they abused their powers. And it most definitely does not mean there is a corrupt moderator in our midst.

    How about for once you stop looking for the negativity of the moderators, and you reminisce on all the good they've done, all the positivity they've contributed to the community as a whole, and how much they've elevated and uplifted the standard of enjoyability within Growtopia. Not one person can change the world, but heck all of these people try, and they all deserve way more credit than you're giving them.

    To the WHOLE moderating team: I know how stressful your job is, I know all the hardship that occurs to all of you, and I know how much you're demeaned, criticized, belittled and bastardized, and I respect you even more so for not retaliating, for learning to ignore incoherent posts and for continuing to do what you do and benefit the community. You all deserve a special spot in Growtopia's heart. <3


    On a side note: If you do feel a moderator is abusing their powers, being derogatory on the forums and antagonizing them is NOT the way to go about it. Reports of moderators behaving unjustly are taken VERY seriously, and you can email support@growtopiagame.com rather than causing an inconvenient ruckus on the forums.
    Well said. You are a role model to every single player this game! #StayAwesome Jack!

  3. #3
    Master Sorcerer Runo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    1,866

    Default

    That's a lot of words! But worth Reading it!..

    The one and only "Dancing Nub" of the forums!







  4. #4
    Lesser Wizard
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    146

    Default

    From Shakespeare's Hamlet, 1602:

    LORD POLONIUS
    This business is well ended.
    My liege, and madam, to expostulate
    What majesty should be, what duty is,
    Why day is day, night night, and time is time,
    Were nothing but to waste night, day and time.
    Therefore, since brevity is the soul of wit,
    And tediousness the limbs and outward flourishes,
    I will be brief: your noble son is mad:
    Mad call I it; for, to define true madness,
    What is't but to be nothing else but mad?
    But let that go.

  5. #5
    Master Sorcerer BoredSozes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ehawke View Post
    From Shakespeare's Hamlet, 1602:

    LORD POLONIUS
    This business is well ended.
    My liege, and madam, to expostulate
    What majesty should be, what duty is,
    Why day is day, night night, and time is time,
    Were nothing but to waste night, day and time.
    Therefore, since brevity is the soul of wit,
    And tediousness the limbs and outward flourishes,
    I will be brief: your noble son is mad:
    Mad call I it; for, to define true madness,
    What is't but to be nothing else but mad?
    But let that go.
    Never studied Hamlet. Care to share why this is relevant?
    Old account:
    http://www.rtsoft.com/forums/member....-Sozes-Isbored

    Mewmew ^~^

    #MyItemMyPrice Read here to find out more ~~> http://www.rtsoft.com/forums/showthr...-Item-My-Price

    Goals: Lv 78/99

    #RIPChristinaGrimmie, you will be missed.
    #RIP all victims of gun violence & terrorism.

  6. #6
    Lesser Wizard
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoredSozes View Post
    Never studied Hamlet. Care to share why this is relevant?
    Brevity is the Soul of Wit. I am going to suggest Jack take up Shakespeare.

  7. #7
    Master Sorcerer ezereal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,453

    Default

    Good thread, let me bump it, I just hope more players understand mods are just doing their jobs, they go around worlds punishing people when you are farming, you got barely anything to do after farming, while they barely even have time to farm, they need to relax just like us, they are not robots meant to work 24/7 to serve us, they are humans too..... Imagine you are in their shoes, just punishing rule breakers all day, they will also get bored every once and a while, they are not machines programmed to go to worlds , detect scams and ban people , neither are they forced to do the job, they can quit if they want to, they volunteered to do the job, if the game don't need moderators cos no scammers, I am sure most of them would like it as it would be more relaxing, they receive spam mails everyday , every second as they travel through Growtopia , they have no way to be at two places at once, if u msged them about a scam and they never reply, it's ok, just leave, mods are busy bumble bees and they barely got time to rest, if you think they are slacking with wicker10 when making videos , you are wrong, what happens after they make videos, do they go back to work? Yes they do and we just travel around Growtopia having loads of fun. If anyone is saying a mod is not doing good enough, just imagine stepping into their shoes, being a mod is easy? My foot, it is hard, as u hear the /msg sound every second and you barely got time to have fun, so if anyone wishes to make a I hate mods thread, I don't mind, I just hope people understand what they are going through
    Goals:

    1. 300/300 wls achieved
    2.300/3000 wls currently
    3. Focussed eyes 0/1
    4. p wings 0/1

  8. #8
    Master Sorcerer BoredSozes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ehawke View Post
    Brevity is the Soul of Wit. I am going to suggest Jack take up Shakespeare.
    It is the soul of wit...yes I can see that it's right there. How is this connected to how mods should be appreciated???

    The guy just seems to be saying that the son is crazy, and we should call a spade a spade and speak no more of it like how we talk of how night is night; and day is day.
    Old account:
    http://www.rtsoft.com/forums/member....-Sozes-Isbored

    Mewmew ^~^

    #MyItemMyPrice Read here to find out more ~~> http://www.rtsoft.com/forums/showthr...-Item-My-Price

    Goals: Lv 78/99

    #RIPChristinaGrimmie, you will be missed.
    #RIP all victims of gun violence & terrorism.

  9. #9
    Master Sorcerer Areodax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    In my house. It's nice.
    Posts
    8,475

    Default

    Let's just hope this spreads as much as item prices.

    Great thread as expected from Jackie.

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrikov
    You are already dead. This is hell.

  10. #10
    Master Sorcerer Jack Bowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    England!
    Posts
    4,761

    Default

    I appreciate the positive feedback, it shows that not all of us are on the course of believing moderators aren't a dire necessity to our gameplay, they're not there to hold our hand, but they are there to guide is to a certain extent, and provide us help from the shadows of the abyss.


    The problem with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

  11. #11
    Squire
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Bowe View Post
    Firstly, please note that this isn't aimed at all of you - rather aimed at the continuous income of threads that are criticizing the moderators, their decisions and the heinous accusations that they don't do their job nor positively contribute to the community (which they do!)

    First and foremost, I talk from experience, both my own and the stories of other moderators, both in this game and out; moderating is stressful. In this game it's a job which is performed by volunteers - people who gain nothing (with the exception of wands) from the job, other than self achievement. The criticism they receive for not doing their VOLUNTEER job to your standards (not the standards they're set by the developers) is absurd, and that's the predominant reason on why I'm making this thread, to hopefully allow players to comprehend that bastardizing a moderator for something you disagree with, or misunderstand isn't the correct thing to do.

    The most common report about the moderators of Growtopia is something similar to the following: I messaged a moderator about a drop game and they didn't do anything! Mods don't do their job!!!". This is absolutely lamentable - just because you don't see them take action, doesn't mean they don't. And if they don't take action, they may have taken action on another player or be investigating a situation. They may have just not seen your message due to the spam - I hope you're realizing that all this and more adds to a pile of reasons why you don't see a particular player banned or a moderator show up to that said world, and because of all of these reasons I don't see it of plausible reason to accuse a moderator of not doing their job our of blatant ignorance if you don't understand their situation. If they said something similar to "I don't care" I could understand your concern, but this hasn't happened, most likely never will and thus, for the most part, I see this particular argument as invalid. Moderators - they get hundreds of private messages per minute, and they don't attend the drop game you reported; this doesn't mean they're not doing their job, it means they didn't read your message. They won't see every message thus they won't attend every report. This is how it'll always be because they're human.

    Preposterously, there is another common argument about seeing mods in YouTube videos or hanging around with "famous" people - you're looking to much into it and not realizing the simplicity of the situation; they're hanging around with *friends*. People they enjoy chilling with and taking a break from their responsibilities to continue to endorse their social life. I'm sure, with a few exceptions, that most of you enjoy to hang out with friends in Growtopia during your life span - and they're all the same, as real people they have real emotions and real friendships, and I am all for them continuing to practice that and take a break now and then, as, again, they're volunteers.

    Furthermore, just because the moderators aren't doing the job you expect them to, it doesn't mean they aren't doing what the developers expect of them. Moderating isn't all about banning this drop game player or muting that profane individual, it's about enlightening the community, whether that be by punishments or becoming more community-oriented. They each have their methods and qualities, and that's why they're moderators. A quote by Solorien further proves this point:



    You complain that moderators are there for the "fame", the "power", and the "wealth". Well, predominantly, that's the communities doing. The moderators are only popular as the majority of Growtopian players treat them as celebrities, and thus they appear accordingly to everyone else. They don't go in for the fame, but you provide it. The power isn't a valid argument, sure, they're giving tools, but if they abuse those tools to their own benefit, they are revoked of their abilities and receive a ban in-game. It's a VERY serious offense, and therefore nobody does it. Being spiteful and holding a grudge isn't a positive attribute, and as STYX once said, they treat negative assailants as "dust in the wind[:". They earn wands for their work, however, most of them don't sell them due to the trouble it causes.

    Mods aren't there to hold you hand - the freedom of an MMO is what makes it successful - skeptical thinking and critical analysis can get you out of any scamming situation - you're not forced to drop/giveaway your items; if something seems too good to be true, it probably is! If moderators did everything for you, the game wouldn't be as fun as it is - they're there to do the job they've been assigned by their employers, not the job the communities wants to assign them - you don't choose what they prioritize, they do, and so do the developers. I'd like to reimburse the fact that your interpretation of a moderators responsibilities and duties may not be the same as the developers. The moderators we have are great, dedicated, reliable and genuine people.

    In cases of hardship, you demean the moderators for unjustly punishing a player, and then complain when they won't provide you with evidence (which they are in no reason obligated to d so). The forums, or Growtopia itself, is not a public court. People will always question punishments, if they can try to get out of it, they will. Just because somebody claims their punishment was unjust, it doesn't mean the moderator was in the wrong. It does, in no way, means they abused their powers. And it most definitely does not mean there is a corrupt moderator in our midst.

    How about for once you stop looking for the negativity of the moderators, and you reminisce on all the good they've done, all the positivity they've contributed to the community as a whole, and how much they've elevated and uplifted the standard of enjoyability within Growtopia. Not one person can change the world, but heck all of these people try, and they all deserve way more credit than you're giving them.

    If you do feel a moderator is abusing their powers, being derogatory on the forums and antagonizing them is NOT the way to go about it. Reports of moderators behaving unjustly are taken VERY seriously, and you can email support@growtopiagame.com rather than causing an inconvenient ruckus on the forums.

    To the WHOLE moderating team: I know how stressful your job is, I know all the hardship that occurs to all of you, and I know how much you're demeaned, criticized, belittled and bastardized, and I respect you even more so for not retaliating, for learning to ignore incoherent posts and for continuing to do what you do and benefit the community. You all deserve a special spot in Growtopia's heart. <3
    Well said jack. You are role model to the growtopia forums. Keep it up
    -DerbGamingGT

  12. #12
    Master Sorcerer JOSHIE63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    4,446

    Default

    My points have never been about moderators slacking off, but rather we need more. No one else seems to understand that. However, maybe your loquacious, on-point explanation can get through to them, that is, if they don't "tldr" this.
    Last edited by JOSHIE63; 06-19-2015 at 06:41 PM.
    MUMBLE

  13. #13
    Master Sorcerer Psycho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Noxus
    Posts
    1,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Bowe View Post
    Firstly, please note that this isn't aimed at all of you - rather aimed at the continuous income of threads that are criticizing the moderators, their decisions and the heinous accusations that they don't do their job nor positively contribute to the community (which they do!)

    First and foremost, I talk from experience, both my own and the stories of other moderators, both in this game and out; moderating is stressful. In this game it's a job which is performed by volunteers - people who gain nothing (with the exception of wands) from the job, other than self achievement. The criticism they receive for not doing their VOLUNTEER job to your standards (not the standards they're set by the developers) is absurd, and that's the predominant reason on why I'm making this thread, to hopefully allow players to comprehend that bastardizing a moderator for something you disagree with, or misunderstand isn't the correct thing to do.

    The most common report about the moderators of Growtopia is something similar to the following: I messaged a moderator about a drop game and they didn't do anything! Mods don't do their job!!!". This is absolutely lamentable - just because you don't see them take action, doesn't mean they don't. And if they don't take action, they may have taken action on another player or be investigating a situation. They may have just not seen your message due to the spam - I hope you're realizing that all this and more adds to a pile of reasons why you don't see a particular player banned or a moderator show up to that said world, and because of all of these reasons I don't see it of plausible reason to accuse a moderator of not doing their job our of blatant ignorance if you don't understand their situation. If they said something similar to "I don't care" I could understand your concern, but this hasn't happened, most likely never will and thus, for the most part, I see this particular argument as invalid. Moderators - they get hundreds of private messages per minute, and they don't attend the drop game you reported; this doesn't mean they're not doing their job, it means they didn't read your message. They won't see every message thus they won't attend every report. This is how it'll always be because they're human.

    Preposterously, there is another common argument about seeing mods in YouTube videos or hanging around with "famous" people - you're looking to much into it and not realizing the simplicity of the situation; they're hanging around with *friends*. People they enjoy chilling with and taking a break from their responsibilities to continue to endorse their social life. I'm sure, with a few exceptions, that most of you enjoy to hang out with friends in Growtopia during your life span - and they're all the same, as real people they have real emotions and real friendships, and I am all for them continuing to practice that and take a break now and then, as, again, they're volunteers.

    Furthermore, just because the moderators aren't doing the job you expect them to, it doesn't mean they aren't doing what the developers expect of them. Moderating isn't all about banning this drop game player or muting that profane individual, it's about enlightening the community, whether that be by punishments or becoming more community-oriented. They each have their methods and qualities, and that's why they're moderators. A quote by Solorien further proves this point:



    You complain that moderators are there for the "fame", the "power", and the "wealth". Well, predominantly, that's the communities doing. The moderators are only popular as the majority of Growtopian players treat them as celebrities, and thus they appear accordingly to everyone else. They don't go in for the fame, but you provide it. The power isn't a valid argument, sure, they're giving tools, but if they abuse those tools to their own benefit, they are revoked of their abilities and receive a ban in-game. It's a VERY serious offense, and therefore nobody does it. Being spiteful and holding a grudge isn't a positive attribute, and as STYX once said, they treat negative assailants as "dust in the wind[:". They earn wands for their work, however, most of them don't sell them due to the trouble it causes.

    Mods aren't there to hold you hand - the freedom of an MMO is what makes it successful - skeptical thinking and critical analysis can get you out of any scamming situation - you're not forced to drop/giveaway your items; if something seems too good to be true, it probably is! If moderators did everything for you, the game wouldn't be as fun as it is - they're there to do the job they've been assigned by their employers, not the job the communities wants to assign them - you don't choose what they prioritize, they do, and so do the developers. I'd like to reimburse the fact that your interpretation of a moderators responsibilities and duties may not be the same as the developers. The moderators we have are great, dedicated, reliable and genuine people.

    In cases of hardship, you demean the moderators for unjustly punishing a player, and then complain when they won't provide you with evidence (which they are in no reason obligated to d so). The forums, or Growtopia itself, is not a public court. People will always question punishments, if they can try to get out of it, they will. Just because somebody claims their punishment was unjust, it doesn't mean the moderator was in the wrong. It does, in no way, means they abused their powers. And it most definitely does not mean there is a corrupt moderator in our midst.

    How about for once you stop looking for the negativity of the moderators, and you reminisce on all the good they've done, all the positivity they've contributed to the community as a whole, and how much they've elevated and uplifted the standard of enjoyability within Growtopia. Not one person can change the world, but heck all of these people try, and they all deserve way more credit than you're giving them.

    If you do feel a moderator is abusing their powers, being derogatory on the forums and antagonizing them is NOT the way to go about it. Reports of moderators behaving unjustly are taken VERY seriously, and you can email support@growtopiagame.com rather than causing an inconvenient ruckus on the forums.

    To the WHOLE moderating team: I know how stressful your job is, I know all the hardship that occurs to all of you, and I know how much you're demeaned, criticized, belittled and bastardized, and I respect you even more so for not retaliating, for learning to ignore incoherent posts and for continuing to do what you do and benefit the community. You all deserve a special spot in Growtopia's heart. <3
    Yep, people live for theirselves.
    My latest video:

  14. #14
    Master Sorcerer Jack Bowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    England!
    Posts
    4,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JOSHIE63 View Post
    My points have never been about moderators slacking off, but rather we need more. No one else seems to understand that. However, maybe your loquacious, on-point explanation can get through to them, that is, if they don't "tdlr" this.
    I completely agree that we need more of them, and recently Hamumu said he'd like around 100 for their player base - it's just a matter of finding them. I've always seen your posts about moderators constructive, and therefore acceptable.

    And for the people that do read this, I hope it enlightens you, if you do want to "TL;DR" it, then that's also acceptable, as I'm not forcing you too, but I'd advise it if you have an opinion on the subject.


    The problem with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

  15. #15
    Lesser Wizard BigYoshiFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Yoshi's Island
    Posts
    275

    Default

    I'm going to try to be a civil a possible when I say this, but could you add a section on how they are treating us all equally. I've always contemplated whether they do or not, and I'm sure they do their best, but I occasionally see sometimes where they don't. Maybe a section on their equal treatment of players can shift my mind.
    It's funny that whenever I try to remember a moment in my life, I can also always remember what GT was like then. The game has watched me grow and vice-versa. Growtopia helped develop my determination, problem-solving skills, logical thinking, and sense of morality. Man, what an amazing few years it has been! Thank you GT!

    "Quitters never win and winners never quit!"

  16. #16
    Master Sorcerer Jack Bowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    England!
    Posts
    4,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigYoshiFan View Post
    I'm going to try to be a civil a possible when I say this, but could you add a section on how they are treating us all equally. I've always contemplated whether they do or not, and I'm sure they do their best, but I occasionally see sometimes where they don't. Maybe a section on their equal treatment of players can shift my mind.
    Sure thing - because I know for a fact that they do - I'll add it here and paste it into the original post.

    You claim that, in certain situations, some players are treated better than others. No. Untrue. I know for a fact that, when moderating, it's a case by case situation. All punishments depend on the extent of the rule violation, the moderator punishing you, and your previous punishment history. When visiting players, they won't go to every world requested - this is practically impossible, they go to the ones they see, the ones that stick out to them, or the ones their friends are at, because everything is more fun with friends. Claiming inequality for players is incongruous, seeing how unequal moderators are treated due to them being scrutinized simply because of their title - equality is something hard to fathom; the way I see it, in terms of moderation, it's the fact that nothing irrelevant (such as a grudge, religion, or personal views) will effect your punishment or response from a member of staff - and that all players are given equal opportunities, which they are. You will ALWAYS come across someone you dislike, whether it be due to their attitude, or your personal experience with them, moderators are the same, however, I have never seen a moderator let this impact the professionalism of their job, and I have never seem them treat people differently, and thus I don't see any problem with equality within Growtopia.


    The problem with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

  17. #17
    Lesser Wizard BigYoshiFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Yoshi's Island
    Posts
    275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Bowe View Post
    Sure thing - because I know for a fact that they do - I'll add it here and paste it into the original post.

    You claim that, in certain situations, some players are treated better than others. No. Untrue. I know for a fact that, when moderating, it's a case by case situation. All punishments depend on the extent of the rule violation, the moderator punishing you, and your previous punishment history. When visiting players, they won't go to every world requested - this is practically impossible, they go to the ones they see, the ones that stick out to them, or the ones their friends are at, because everything is more fun with friends. Claiming inequality for players is incongruous, seeing how unequal moderators are treated due to them being scrutinized simply because of their title - equality is something hard to fathom; the way I see it, in terms of moderation, it's the fact that nothing irrelevant (such as a grudge, religion, or personal views) will effect your punishment or response from a member of staff - and that all players are given equal opportunities, which they are. You will ALWAYS come across someone you dislike, whether it be due to their attitude, or your personal experience with them, moderators are the same, however, I have never seen a moderator let this impact the professionalism of their job, and I have never seem them treat people differently, and thus I don't see any problem with equality within Growtopia.
    Alright, now here is where I come in with a question about their equal treatment. On YouTube, I commonly see moderators dealing with scams, asking players (or sometimes forcing) to give back what they stole. I sort of grinned when I saw that moderators would spend their time with issues like that, but then I realized:
    1. Moderators often say they are NOT responsible for any lost items.
    2. It's weird how these moderators come to enforce rules with these people, but not with others.
    3. I find it unusual that moderators even respond to messages saying," I got scammed!" or anything along the lines of that.
    It's funny that whenever I try to remember a moment in my life, I can also always remember what GT was like then. The game has watched me grow and vice-versa. Growtopia helped develop my determination, problem-solving skills, logical thinking, and sense of morality. Man, what an amazing few years it has been! Thank you GT!

    "Quitters never win and winners never quit!"

  18. #18
    Master Sorcerer Kranken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Stranger Danger :^)
    Posts
    3,455

    Default

    Well sayd Jack. ;D
    [COLOR=Kranken][/COLOR]




    Click on the spoiler to show how many damn's I got. By clicking there, you'll give me a damn.


    Get free levels in GETFREELEVELS.

  19. #19
    Master Sorcerer Jack Bowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    England!
    Posts
    4,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigYoshiFan View Post
    Alright, now here is where I come in with a question about their equal treatment. On YouTube, I commonly see moderators dealing with scams, asking players (or sometimes forcing) to give back what they stole. I sort of grinned when I saw that moderators would spend their time with issues like that, but then I realized:
    1. Moderators often say they are NOT responsible for any lost items.
    2. It's weird how these moderators come to enforce rules with these people, but not with others.
    3. I find it unusual that moderators even respond to messages saying," I got scammed!" or anything along the lines of that.
    1) They're not responsible for any lost items, nor are they obligated to help others out with their lost items - this is where their kindness comes in, and they go out of their role to fulfill the communities cry for help.

    2) Moderators enforce the rules on people they come across, or happen to see the message of, if they have time. If they don't have the time to thoroughly investigate/reason with somebody, they can't, it's as simple as that. This isn't inequality, it's a question of job priorities at the time. Again, it's a case by case basis.

    3) They respond to all the messages they can, that aren't spam. They go out of their way to help others, and this is another example of that, and them treated everyone kindly and fairly.

    Also, thanks Kranken.


    The problem with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

  20. #20

    Default You've Hit The Nail!

    This is exactly what growtopians need to realize. Hopefully every growtopian will see this but not all of them even visit the forums

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •