Thread: Unable to display anything.

Default Unable to display anything.

Hi,

I have a strange problem with the clanLib, everything I want to render is only visible if I run my application in the full screen mode. If not I can only see the white output window.

Some remarkable about that is that I yesterday installed new video drivers, after that I could until I finally restarted my computer see what I wanted to see.

Also after some builds and debug sessions the console window that I have created receives no messages, this has worked before as expected.

Did anyone has the same problem, and maybe solved it?

Oh here are my relevant system specs:
    Vista Ultimate SP1
    NVIDIA GF 8600 GT (driver version: 7.15.11.7516)
    clanLib version: 0.8.1

This misbehavior also happens at every clanLib example.

Thanks for every help.

ClanLib Developer

This is the first time I hear about such a problem in Windows. We have had some minor issues with some Intel drivers for Linux, but nothing so drastic that it only displays a white screen.

The most likely causes for a white screen sympton would be:

• OpenGL context creation fails
    • wglSwapBuffers fails
    • The application never calls display.flip() and also never calls CL_System::keep_alive()

We can rule out the third possibility since you said it also happens with the included examples. I assume you downloaded and installed the official Nvidia drivers from your vendor or from http://www.nvidia.com, so that should have installed OpenGL on your system.

Try download some other OpenGL applications and test if they work on your system - if they do not, then somehow OpenGL has failed to install properly on your system. The OpenGL extension viewer might also be a good idea to try out, since it can tell you what your system supports and maybe reveal a problem.

Finally you could also try to download ClanLib 0.9 from svn and check if it too fails to initialize OpenGL on your computer.

Hi,

thanks for the answer. But i think I have found a solution for the problem (with an overall performance boost for my system ).

As I use Vista i tried to change my design from "Windows Vista" to "Windows - classic", now I can see everything I want to display, all examples are working now too. Including this and the performance gain on vista its not that bad for a simple "bug fix".

At my company computer which also uses Vista my application worked very well, with enabled Vista Aero design. I wonder whats the difference, except that I use at my company some ATI graphic card.

I also tried the OpenGL extension viewer viewer, here are some small results from the rendering tests:

Vista Aero design:
    windowed - i could see through the window, nothing was rendered
    full screen - everything looked ok

No Vista Aero design:
    windowed - everything looked ok
    full screen - everything looked ok

Maybe I should track down the problem, but now it works and IŽam happy with it.

mfg Mark

ClanLib Developer

I tried ClanLib 0.8 on Vista using both Vista Aero and Classic, and both work on my nvidia card (NVIDIA Quadro FX 3400 / 4400)

Maybe it is a graphic card driver problem.