Thread: Clanlib on Hardy Heron

Default Clanlib on Hardy Heron

Long story short, like most of the software repositories, clanlib is out of date. What is the best way to get clanlib .8.x installed? Do I need to manually compile it?

Yep - SVN check out svn://esoteric.clanlib.org/ClanLib/Development/ClanLib-0.8 and check its readme for how to get it built.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

So I finally got around to compiling Clanlib, but Novashell still complains about how I don't have it. Do I need to dump the compiled files somewhere after compilation?

EDIT: Here's what I'm getting....

grant@grantxps:~$ cd novashell/
    grant@grantxps:~/novashell$ ./novashell
    ./novashell: error while loading shared libraries: libclanApp-0.8.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

EDIT2: Well I dug through the output after I ran make install and noticed this:

Libraries have been installed in:
    /usr/local/lib

If you ever happen to want to link against installed libraries
    in a given directory, LIBDIR, you must either use libtool, and
    specify the full pathname of the library, or use the `-LLIBDIR'
    flag during linking and do at least one of the following:
    - add LIBDIR to the `LD_LIBRARY_PATH' environment variable
    during execution
    - add LIBDIR to the `LD_RUN_PATH' environment variable
    during linking
    - use the `-Wl,--rpath -Wl,LIBDIR' linker flag
    - have your system administrator add LIBDIR to `/etc/ld.so.conf'

See any operating system documentation about shared libraries for
    more information, such as the ld(1) and ld.so(8) manual pages.

Is it not looking for the libraries in usr/local/lib? And if so do I need to symlink or something? I checked in usr/local/lib and the file novashell is looking for is there, but it's linked to libclanApp-0.8.so.1.0.0, which is in the same directory....
    Last edited by Starclopsofish; 09-22-2008 at 09:37 PM.

Hmm.. on my system just doing the regular make install is enough, no custom copying needed. It uses libtool magic to let gcc find things, maybe try to compile the clanlib example "Basic2D" and see if that works? (in examples/basic2d do a "make" from the shell)
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Hmm.. on my system just doing the regular make install is enough, no custom copying needed. It uses libtool magic to let gcc find things, maybe try to compile the clanlib example "Basic2D" and see if that works? (in examples/basic2d do a "make" from the shell)
    Wow, that worked. Thanks! Uh..... so just for future reference and personal growth and all that, why did that work? lol

I don't know, the way linux deals with finding libraries is very confusing to me too..
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Hey, so I have the same problem, finally got clanlib examples to find the .so, compile and demo features successfully! BUT novashell still can't find the .so file. I've tried symlinking, manually moving it to /usr/lib, I edited the ld conf file and ran ldconfig properly. I've done the whole compiling process of clanlib and novashell three times, on three separate distros (all debian/debian based) and got the same result every time: clanlib examples run fine but novashell has no clue how to find that dang .so.

Hmm.. maybe something with permissions?

Maybe try:

sudo make install

to install clanlib? Maybe sudo with building novashell as well?
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

I always sudo make install, it needs to put files where my humble user cannot. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if I checked the permissions on the .so ...I don't see why Basic2d would have permission to access it and novashell wouldn't--plus I tried running novashell as root to boot.

Just an update for anyone still having this problem, the version of ClanLib in Intrepid Ibex is much more current, and novashell worked out of the box for me

tl dr; Updating to Intrepid will probably fix any ClanLib issues.

Ok, for anyone getting this error with novashell in linux:

"./novashell: error while loading shared libraries: libclanApp-0.8.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

It might be because your clanlib stuff is in usr/local/lib instead of usr/lib.

To fix this, from the shell prompt, right before running novashell, do this:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib

(to check that it 'took', you can view it like this)

echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

(you should see it say: /user/local/lib )

Novashell should now be able to find the clanlib library stuff.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Meh. Having trouble with this on Intrepid Ibex, whether or not I install clanlib myself. Looks like novashell is looking for libclan*.so.1, whereas at least the Ubuntu packages install the libraries under libclan*-0.8.so.1

Anyone who got this working willing to help a brother out?