Thread: 0.9 CL_DisplayMode incomplete

Lesser Knight

Default 0.9 CL_DisplayMode incomplete

Using 0.9 SVN r1791. Apparently CL_DisplayMode is never fully declared, although it is forward declared in display_window.h and used as a const ref param in functions such as CL_DisplayWindow::set_fullscreen().

It's very helpful to be able to enumerate the video modes to decide on initial window sizes.

Thanks,

--- Kevin

ClanLib Developer

DisplayMode was in 0.8, and it might have disappeared in the port to 0.9.. or we renamed it to DisplayModeDescription... or not We're not sure and can't remember

To be honest, we haven't really focused much on fullscreen functionality for a while. Feel free to look into this

This gotta be the vaguest post ever

ClanLib Developer

Yes, it does not work. It has not been implemented.

To get full screen, currently the only way is to do it is on window creation (CL_DisplayWindowDescription)

I believe that it is not that easy to get dynamic full-screen to work, due to the handling of OpenGL by Microsoft windows. (i cannot remember the details)

Lesser Knight

Quote Originally Posted by rombust View Post
    To get full screen, currently the only way is to do it is on window creation (CL_DisplayWindowDescription)
    I personally think that's acceptable. All I really want is to be able to select a sensible window size (or fullscreen resolution) at window creation time. In the meantime, might want to prune the set_fullscreen() method, or have it throw a "not implemented" exception.

I'll have a go at transplanting CL_DisplayMode from 0.8 forward into 0.9. If anybody thinks this is a bad idea or won't work, please let me know.

--- Kevin

ClanLib Developer

Feel free to port the 0.8 enumeration code, we appreciate that

Lesser Knight

Patch attached. You'll first need to svn copy three files from the 0.8 branch to 0.9 before applying it:

Code:
    ClanLib-0.8/Sources/API/Display/display_mode.h
    ClanLib-0.8/Sources/Display/display_mode_generic.h
    ClanLib-0.8/Sources/Display/display_mode.cpp
    I only tried it on Linux.

--- Kevin
    Attached Files Attached Files

ClanLib Developer

I've added the classes from 0.8, applied your patch, and tuned it to fit more into 0.9.

Lesser Knight

Thanks.

I see the class name and a few other things have changed. I hope you didn't have to fix too much to make it fit 0.9.

Small nit: Sources/API/display.h still attempts to #include "Display/display_mode.h" instead of "Display/Window/display_window_mode.h" Attached patch to fix that.

Edit: also, string_types.h should be #included in "Display/Window/display_window_mode.h". If its the first #include in a source file, the CL_String breaks build otherwise.

Apart from these issues, I tried it on Ubuntu 8.04 and OpenSuse 11; it builds and works as expected on both and correctly enumerates available display modes.

--- Kevin
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by kbluck; 09-11-2008 at 02:41 AM.

ClanLib Developer

Thanks!

I basically had to rename the _generic class to _impl (as thats what we call those classes now), and fix up the comments on every function since we now use a doxygen format for those.