Thread: can't kill the beast

Unhappy

I've tried just about everything to kill that darn beast at the beginning of the game (but I don't have any "steely knives" to do it with - LOL&#33 I'm all pumped up, the instructions say that it isn't that hard. I punch, retreat, punch, retreat, go get some more food, etc. Come back, punch, retreat, etc. ad nauseum. And the final line in the song is "they just can't kill the beast." (I hope someone knows what I am referencing&#33. What's the trick?

Knight

Well, I assume you mean the bonca in the cave in the original game (the first beast in the game) and if you play it right, it isn't hard The idea is indeed to punch and retreat till the bonca is dead. But, you may not leave the screen when fighting the bonca (I think: "go get some food" in your story). You see, when you leave a screen, a monster's HP (healthpoints) will be restored. So, to kill the bonca you must punch and retreat but still stay on that screen.
    - Simeon

See here for my profile.

Knight

Oh, and the song.. Hotel California?
    - Simeon

See here for my profile.

If your talking about the bonca in the beginning of the original then bring a full pack of alktree nuts along and when you get hurt run around and eat alktree nuts until your healed and continue the fight.

Lesser Wizard

what level are you anyway?

Lesser Wizard

Punch and run around, like Simeon said is the best way, and it does't hurt to have a good strength level.
    "Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun...."

Lesser Wizard

this guy is really easy. if you get cornered by him, run away from the screen and come again (if you want to). you should be around level 2 or even 3 to kill this guy.

Unhappy

Hi All,

This is my first time posting here. I recently started playing the original Dink Smallwood (the download version). I seem to be stuck in Stonebrook in the beginning of the game. I can't seem to kill the beast in the cave. I've read the walkthrough at http://users.skynet.be/dinksols/walk...wood.en.shtml. When I begin to fight the beast my health meter is completely red. I also have as many alknuts with me as I can carry. I've been attempting to hit and retreat. I keep getting killed.

1. I've been trying to hit the beast on the head or the side. But, I'm just wondering, can I hit the beast on the tail? Or does that not do any good? Sometimes I can't seem to get away from its tail.

2. Also, am I perhaps too close to the beast? I've been trying not to get too close, but it seems difficult.

3. Is there a way to tell when the beast is getting weaker?

4. And, one more question, if you don't mind. I see little numbers near the beast and near me every time I hit the beast (or when the beast hits me, I think). What do the numbers signify? (I saw the numbers when I killed some pill bugs, too.

As you can see, I really am a newby. And, I'm not used to playing computer games in general.

Thanks in advance for any help.

T'Cor

Talking

when i first met Bonca I was surprised because i beat him on my first attempt all i did was wait for him to get a little close and do one punch then run away just before her hits u with his tail spin attack
    See What I Can Do

Lesser Wizard

The numbers show just how strong your punch was. You can tell the best is getting weaker, only if you know it's total strength. I found it easier punching him in the nose and then retreating a bit, so that tail didn't wack me.
    "Living on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free trip around the sun...."

Question

Thanks for your messages Dorian1 and Kat. I wanted to let you know I finally killed the beast.

This may sound silly, but I didn't know how to tell what level I was on, and I didn't know how to raise my level. I was just about to post a message asking about that when it finally occurred to me that maybe I should walk around and see if there were more pill bugs to kill. I found more bugs and I was able to reach level 2. Then I went back to the cave, and after being killed by the beast once or twice, I managed to kill him!

I don't think it's silly, for one I never really understood those numbers - I thought the yellow ones were for gold! Imagine my dismay when I ended up with a ham! If no-one ever asks how for help, then it makes learning all the harder. Plus, other people may have ideas on how to make the gameplay more enjoyable.
    Enjoy the game, it's great and everyone here is really friendly and helpful!

Question

Thanks Kediri. Although I'm not very far into the game, yet, it sure is a lot of fun.