Thread: Clan Network

Lesser Wizard

Default Clan Network

I noticed a NetGame demo the last time I updated my SVN. And I noticed it making reference to some new NetGame classes, that are not listed on the references or overview pages.

I hate to be a bother about silly things like documentation, but is there anything to read about on this aside from just looking into the code? I still haven't seen much on the net objects (nor how to use them to effect), and now there's some new things to look at.

I'd rather use ClanLib for this, but honestly, I was going to use RakNet. It's much less of a mystery. Networking in 0.8 was pretty rough (I still don't know how the heck the netobjects work), but it's even more of a mystery now.

Thanks,
    Dan

ClanLib Developer

There isn't any documentation - the example is the documentation. It demonstrates a simple client / server event architecture.

NetGame API in 0.9 is much simpler than 0.8 NetObjects (but doesn't try to cover what 0.8 netobjects did).

Feel free to use RakNet, ClanLib is built to be modular - pick the modules you like best, and find alternatives for the others.

Lesser Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by sphair View Post
    There isn't any documentation - the example is the documentation. It demonstrates a simple client / server event architecture.

NetGame API in 0.9 is much simpler than 0.8 NetObjects (but doesn't try to cover what 0.8 netobjects did).

Feel free to use RakNet, ClanLib is built to be modular - pick the modules you like best, and find alternatives for the others.
    Yes, though therein lies the problem. I'm just not sure what all it's capable of... It seems unfair to the developers for things to be that "in the dark" after the work you've put into it. It would determine who actually tries to use it, and who passes it up.

Maybe Clan Network is as comprehensive as RakNet? I'm not sure. Does anyone but a CL developer know that?

You have to start somewhere, you don't want to spend time doing option A only to find it doesn't cover what you need down the road, and option B was really a better choice.

Though the lack of documentation has always been ClanLib's short coming. Forgive me for saying it. I know better at this point, but there's always hope

It is quite the ultimate tinkerer's toolbox.

ClanLib Developer

Well the NetGame API is a very simple client/server network system, where you send CL_NetGameEvent messages from client to server or from server to client.

It marshals simple data types (integers, strings and so on) and helps you route the messages, but does not really assist you in anything else at the time being. It is the network engine that powers DiceWar and was originally written just with DW in mind, but then it turned out that for event based games it was generally useful. If your goal is to write a shooter or something along those lines, I would not recommend NetGame. But if your game could run reasonably well receiving messages like those in the DiceWar events_game.txt file, then NetGame has proven itself to be both stable and easy to use.

Sorry for the lack of documentation, but with the current developer resources on ClanLib we simply don't have the time. Our current goal is to get clanDisplay+clanGUI 100% ready for an official release of the 0.9 series and then document that part of ClanLib. The less central libraries of ClanLib have to wait until that is done. So for the time being, the NetGame example and the DiceWar example is the documentation of the NetGame API.

If you have any specific questions about any API in ClanLib, feel free to ask about it in the forum ofc.

Lesser Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus Norddahl View Post
    Well the NetGame API is a very simple client/server network system, where you send CL_NetGameEvent messages from client to server or from server to client.

It marshals simple data types (integers, strings and so on) and helps you route the messages, but does not really assist you in anything else at the time being. It is the network engine that powers DiceWar and was originally written just with DW in mind, but then it turned out that for event based games it was generally useful. If your goal is to write a shooter or something along those lines, I would not recommend NetGame. But if your game could run reasonably well receiving messages like those in the DiceWar events_game.txt file, then NetGame has proven itself to be both stable and easy to use.

Sorry for the lack of documentation, but with the current developer resources on ClanLib we simply don't have the time. Our current goal is to get clanDisplay+clanGUI 100% ready for an official release of the 0.9 series and then document that part of ClanLib. The less central libraries of ClanLib have to wait until that is done. So for the time being, the NetGame example and the DiceWar example is the documentation of the NetGame API.

If you have any specific questions about any API in ClanLib, feel free to ask about it in the forum ofc.
    Excellent, thank you both for your replies. This is what I was after, just a quick "here's what this does good" type assessment. Would be a good turn-based solution.

I would, of course, love to write docs for ClanLib. But it's probably not fitting as I am not a developer and I really don't know much about its innards or how things work together.

But I think anyone could do reference, just a matter of looking it at the source level and transcribing it to web format.

I've always wanted to contribute in some fashion, but I'm more of a designer than a programmer. I only program because no one else will do it for me

EDIT: I wonder if a wiki format might work for ClanLib documentation?