Thread: Newbie question about printf();

Squire

Question Newbie question about printf();

Hey gang:
    I'm just begining work with version 2 of the SDK. I often like to printf() debug stuff to the console whilst developing. So I had a look at class CL_Console and thought I'd be a stud and throw a printf() in there. Here's the code I threw in...

-------------------------------------------------------------
    static void PrintF( char * Str, ... ) {
    char OutPut[1024];
    va_list Ap;
    va_start( Ap, Str );
    vsprintf( OutPut, Str, Ap );
    CL_TempStringFormat f( OutPut ); // Would rather just wite( OutPut )
    write( f.get_result() ); //
    va_end( Ap );
    }
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

The compiler made me do a few crazy things to printf 'cause it complained if I sent "char OutPut[]' into write(). What I have shut the compiler up and the code is working. I just have an uneasy feeling about having to use CL_TempStringFormat. Is there a way I can rewrite it with a simple cast on 'OutPut' in the write() call? <I don't know much about templates, so looking at string_fromat.h confused me!>

...Nothing pressing as it is working, just thought somebody could bust this easily and brighten my day a bit. Thanks!

ClanLib Developer

you can just use

CL_String myString = "test";
    int myInt = 15;

CL_Console::write_line("Hello, this is a %1 and %2, and these are the numbers %3 and %4", "string", myString, 17, myInt);

No need to specify the types, it will be figured out automatically.

Squire

Thanks! Yeah I figured that's what the clan was up to with the overloaded write() methods. I don't have the source handy on this computer now, but I do recall seeing a max of 4 or 5 arguments. That might cramp my style a bit. The printf I came up with does work, just I posted to see if someone could help show me how to crack the casting syntax of the template class CL_TempStringFormat and make me feel more at home with the SDK.
    No biggie. Thanks for posting. I think I'm gonna enjoy working with this SDK.
    P.S. Is version 2 (which used to be 0.9 not to long ago) listed as stable. That just poped in my head. I don't wanna get stuck working with something that is not stable. I'm assuming it's now stable and everyone's now using it...?

ClanLib Developer

No, version 2 is not stable. We're still working on some quirks here and there.

But most breaking changes from now on will be documented in the UPGRADE.txt file, so it shouldn't be a problem using v2.

Squire

Ok, Thanks. Well for the next quite a while I need the GUI mostly. Would you say that the GUI is stable (enough)?
    BTW, I found a "feature" while I was playing with the basic 2d example on Windows XP. Every once in a while when the mouse pointer leaves the the example windows focus the animation stops. Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. If it does stop, I noticed that if I roll the mouse wheel it will startup again. ...If that's all it is it doesn't concern me right now. Just put'n it out there.

ClanLib Developer

Yes, GUI is stable enough to use. We already have a user making a huge GUI app using it.

Although some of the components are a bit rough still. But the overall GUI design won't change much.

Squire

Music to my eyes, sir! Thank-you kindly!
    Would that user be Seth and the amazing Novashell?
    Is there a rough E.T.A. on a stable 2.0?

ClanLib Developer

No, its not Novashell, which use ClanLib 1.0.

No estimates on stable - We will just have to see as we go along