Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visual Studio .NET

Knight
    I looked through my window, there are no signs ... but, its definitely planet Earth.

Default Visual Studio .NET

I've installed the Visual Studio .NET, without SP1 currently and can't open any .vcproj or .sln files although they are associated with the studio. Can someone help? The reason why I'm asking this is that if its not possible to use this version of visual studio, I don't have to download SP1, its large 85Mb and I'm on dialup modem.

ClanLib Developer

sln and vcproj files are versioned. So if you're trying to open a newer version of these files on an older Visual Studio it will probably not work.

All ClanLib examples are for instance only working on VC 2008 and newer. The ClanLib solution files themselves can be generated to run on most versions, though, through the Configure application.

Knight
    I looked through my window, there are no signs ... but, its definitely planet Earth.

That is the first file I clicked, but its not working ... I'm uploading a screen shot. Using XP with SP2, not having SP3.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

ClanLib Developer

That's strange!

I assume (and hope!) that you are running at least Windows XP Service pack 2.

I run Visual Studio 7 at work with clanlib, however...
    with the visual studio projects, you must edit the .vcproj files, and edit the line:
    Version="9.00"
    to Version="7.00"

The configure.exe app is built from "Setup\configure-vc90.sln"

The exe file is provided for convenience

Knight

Thanks! What you said worked, it opened the project file, but during compilation fatal error. I'm using XP with SP2, but haven't downloaded SP1 for visual studio yet. That will take some time.

ClanLib Developer

Use the /Zm512 option as attached

Knight

Sorry for not being able to reply sooner ... ITS WORKING! Amazing man, how you knew that? I mean, I don't like MS, but this is awesome. Do you know how to compile ClanLib 2.0 using MinGW? Thanks!

Knight

Could I remove d3d9 and d3d10 projects from the solution? I don't recall having those in 0.8.1 when compiling with mingw, I don't have the SDK its too large for the download.

ClanLib Developer

Yes, they are not working yet, so you can safely remove them.

But to compile ClanLib at all, you do need the DirectX SDK - its used for input in ClanDisplay.

ClanLib Developer

Since you're on a dial up, you can download the parts of the DirectX SDK you need here:

http://esoteric.clanlib.org/~mbn/tem...ust%202008.zip

The real download from Microsoft is almost a gigabyte, in which 95% of it are examples that you do not need.

Knight

It appears that the ClanLib has compiled without DirectX SDK, but I'm getting errors, I assume those errors are because of your work in progress, because I've downloaded through SVN, so getting the following errors about sprite and vec2d and other math classes, related only to bool:

c:\useful\ClanLib2\Sources\API\Display\2D\sprite.h (177): error C2784: 'bool CL_SharedPtr<Type>:perator <(OtherType *) const' : could not deduce template argument for ' *' from 'const CL_SharedPtr<Type>'
    with
    [
    Type=CL_Sprite_Impl
    ]
    and
    [
    Type=CL_Sprite_Impl
    ]

I'm not having SP1 for VC7 yet.

Knight

Thanks Magnus! I just noticed your post, downloading now ... only 6M ... wow, talking about extreme compression :-)

Knight

Download finished. I don't understand how it did not complain about not having directx sdk, but it is possible that some old version got installed from Visual Studio CDs. There are 5 CDs and even though I picked only C++ and not VB, ASP or C#, it asked me to switch all 5 CD throughout the installation! And there was a mention of many various SDKs ... not sure about which though

ClanLib Developer

I believe the SP1 should fix the problems.

I run an old "0.9" version of ClanLib at work, so it is possible that the latest ClanLib 2.0 will not compile without some tweaks

Knight

Mmmm, so that means no compilation of 2.0 possible even with SP1? That makes me sad after all the time ...

ClanLib Developer

I said "it is possible " ... That means that it should work, but I have not tested it with the latest version of clanlib, only a version that was 6 months old

Knight

Thanks, I'll be donwloading the SP1 for VC7 for few days, because I can't sit 8h in continuation in front of comp.

ClanLib Developer

Downloading the latest Visual Studio Express C++ edition is about 75 Mb. I'd recommend that.

Knight

Oh, I didn't know its lesser than SP1 for VC7 ... thanks a lot!

Knight

I seem to have a bit of a problem with VS express. I was at 10% of VC7 SP1 download (~9M) and it supports resumes, while I'm not sure if this is supported by Express version. Will I able to resume, because I can't download 75M at once? Also, will I be able to reinstall if something goes wrong, without having to download again?

I've downloaded setup for VC++ Express and it does not support flashget I'm using and the total size is 96M.
    Last edited by alexv1; 06-10-2009 at 02:08 PM. Reason: VC++ Express setup