Thread: Lua Editor for Novashell

Default Lua Editor for Novashell

Hello,

I am currently learning to use Novashell and for several reasons I decided to make a Lua editor to help me with the Lua scripting. I already find it useful, if I fix it up a little, would people here be interested in it?

The basic idea is that you open up a Noveshell projects "script" folder, and from there you have all the scripts, you can open them, edit them, save all (so that you know they've all been saved before running the project).

Here are two screenshots:

Edit: Oh, and it's meant to be crossplatform, but I haven't tried it in Mac OS X or Linux much.
    Last edited by alexk; 06-24-2009 at 12:37 AM.

Looks very promising. I'm pretty attached to Ultra-Edit but then again, I paid like $40 for it, I bet a lot of people would love to get a free editor that is tuned to work well with Novashell!

Just make sure it has some kind of project wide text search feature.. perhaps with a way to search ALL of the projects in the world dir at the same time, as this can be useful to find an example of how to use a certain command.
    Seth A. Robinson
    Robinson Technologies

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    Just make sure it has some kind of project wide text search feature.. perhaps with a way to search ALL of the projects in the world dir at the same time, as this can be useful to find an example of how to use a certain command.
    Ah, hmm... I am currently working on project wide text search, and it is hopefully soon done, but yes, someway to search all the projects in the "world" folder would be useful. I will certainly keep that in mind.

Lesser Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by alexk View Post
    Hello,

I already find it useful, if I fix it up a little, would people here be interested in it?
    It looks quite good but I can't help but feel you're kind of re-inventing the wheel slightly. I personally use Notepad++ to do the job.

It would be nice if an editor could be integrated into Novashell, though, making it feel more like Visual Studio etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Pleng View Post
    It looks quite good but I can't help but feel you're kind of re-inventing the wheel slightly. I personally use Notepad++ to do the job.

It would be nice if an editor could be integrated into Novashell, though, making it feel more like Visual Studio etc..
    Yes, sure, I am a bit re-inventing the wheel, but things like easily searching all .lua scripts in the "world" folder and subfolders and perhaps later on, other specific things for Novashell might be useful. I am doing it a bit as a learning exercise and because I want something I am comfortable using, and the other editors I've found I don't really like, there is always something that bugs me ;P

Lesser Wizard

but things like easily searching all .lua scripts in the "world" folder and subfolders and perhaps later on
    Yes. That does sound good!

Ok, I've tuned it up a bit and thought it might be a good idea to release what I have so far, here are the download links:

Windows: LuansWin.zip
    Mac OS X Intel: LuansMacIntel.app.tar
    Mac OS X PPC: LuansMacPPC.app.tar

Note, I haven't tested the Mac versions.

There is no read me, so if you have any questions just post here.

When you start it for the first time, it will ask you where you have Novashell installed. After that, it will open the main window (which is the one that opens when you start it later) and it will start the file indexing in the background. This is however half-slow, so it might be a good idea to wait until it is complete before continuing (check to the bottom-right corner of the screen for a status indicator. If there is none, then it has finished with the file indexing).

Comments and critique are very much welcome.

Lesser Wizard

I will have a look at this when I get some time to working on my game again!

Cool, I haven't been working on my Novashell project for a while so I haven't really worked on my Lua editor either but I plan on doing both rather soon.

Default Confused

The download link doesnt work... I want the editor

Cool The best text editor ever...

You have got to check jEdit out. It is the best, (to my knowledge) free programmer's text editor- it's got all the "Goodies" like syntax text coloring, excellent search functions, (including multiple-document search), runs on any platform through Java (installer will load Java if you don't have it already,) it supports any amount of documents open all in the same window (accesible by a drop-down menu with a red box next to docs with unsaved changes,) it automatically saves a backup of the original file before saving changes, and it has an ENORMOUS amount of configuration options.

You can download it here.

Hope it helps you like it did me,

NinjaNumberNine