Thread: [FIX] SVN compiling Error due #error "SSE2 instruction set not enabled" on gcc

Default [FIX] SVN compiling Error due #error "SSE2 instruction set not enabled" on gcc

This error occurs when the environment doesn't have automatic SSE2 instruction turned on. There is a simple test for this.

Try and compile the file here.

I found this is to occur specifically in the GDI section. This can be fixed with a simple one line patch to configure.ac.

Code:
    Index: configure.ac
    ===================================================================
    --- configure.ac        (revision 3331)
    +++ configure.ac        (working copy)
    @@ -154,6 +154,7 @@
     fi
     extra_LIBS_clanSDL="-lSDL -lSDL_gfx"
     extra_LIBS_clanRegExp="-lpcre"
    +extra_CFLAGS_clanGUI="-msse2"

dnl Store cflags for Setup/pkgconfig/clan*.in pkg-config files
     AC_SUBST(extra_CFLAGS_clanApp)
    This should be add with a if statement only for linux. I DO NOT KNOW HOW THIS WILL AFFECT OTHER PLATFORMS. (sorry for the caps).

Also here is my gcc -v
    Code:
    Using built-in specs.
    Target: i486-linux-gnu
    Configured with: ../src/configure -v --with-pkgversion='Ubuntu 4.3.3-5ubuntu4' --with-bugurl=file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.3/README.Bugs --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++ --prefix=/usr --enable-shared --with-system-zlib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --enable-nls --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.3 --program-suffix=-4.3 --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-objc-gc --enable-mpfr --enable-targets=all --with-tune=generic --enable-checking=release --build=i486-linux-gnu --host=i486-linux-gnu --target=i486-linux-gnu
    Thread model: posix
    gcc version 4.3.3 (Ubuntu 4.3.3-5ubuntu4)

ClanLib Developer

That's good

Ideally, the configure app should try to compile (with the "-msse2" flag):
    Code:
    #include <emmintrin.h>

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
    {
    	return 0;
    }
    Then enable / disable SSE2.

ClanGUI has a #define to enable / disable it . (at the top of draw_image.cpp).

I'll have a look next week

ClanLib Developer

My new CL_Rasterizer class does not have anything to disable SSE I'm afraid.

This is one of the situations where I think its reasonable to ask people to upgrade their compiler if it is so old that it does not support something as SSE - especially since the performance gains are very significant.

I did upgrade my compiler. SSE appears to be off for other reasons than just an old compiler. My compiler does have it enabled but it needs to be switched on.

ClanLib Developer

I should have been more specific. My comment was targeted to Rombust so he wouldn't spend time in the build system allowing to disable the SSE code, just to discover that I've written new code that totally cannot be switched off.

Then I went on to rationalize why its reasonable to require people to upgrade their compilers (not yours, but those that do not support SEE at all) rather than spend a lot of time writing two code paths. There is one catch to this attitude though - clanGDI will only work on x86/x64 systems and not other CPU platforms. But I won't personally be the one that doubles the amount of work required to code on clanGDI to target platforms that do not interest me.

Hope this makes it clearer what I meant.

ClanLib Developer

It should now be fixed in SVN

The GDI target now compiles with the SSE2 flag (-msse2). If SSE2 is not available, then the GDI target is disabled.